Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jabramm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 04:23 PM
    98 Honda Prelude all electrical malfunction!
    I suspected a blown fuse on my 98 Honda Prelude, engine off, keys out of ignition I began to pull fuses in order under the dash to determine the blown fuse and then replaced them in order. Found none (it was under the hood Accessory power socket i.e. cigarette lighter... found the next day). When I started the car after checking the fuses I found the transmission would not shift to overdrive. The tachometer, speedometer, all gauges, radio, power windows, turn signals, trunk light are all not working. In addition the transmission will not shift into park (no reverse!) unless I shut off the car remove the keys, reinsert the key, turn, and then I can get it into park. I replaced the underhood fuse with a 7.5 ohm spare and everything still does not work! Please help! Thanks a lot!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 06:31 PM
    You need to test not only all under-hood fuses, but also all under-dash fuses. Here's the proper way to test fuses:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

It's important to test fuses in this manner, or you can end up replacing them in the wrong slot and creating a HUGE problem. This approach is also much faster and more accurate.
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 09:20 PM
    If all of the fuses are good, check/replace the ignition switch and harness. You may want to check whether there is a TSB concerning your switch.
    jabramm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
    It's fixed.
    Pulled the fuses and checked them individually with a multi-meter, tested good. Re-inserted and checked them in the car with the ignition in the "on" position and many read bad... hmmmm. Decided to re-set the ECU by unplugging the negative battery terminal for a minute (read about that on a post... different website... ). Bam, the bitc* fired right up with no problems, cleared the CEL, everythings working.
    Thanks txgreasemonkey for responding.
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 06:43 PM
    In the under-hood fuse/relay box, there is a BACKUP fuse (usually 7.5 A), which if removed for 10 seconds will reset the ECM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 Honda Prelude loses acceleration [ 2 Answers ]

1993 Honda Prelude- runs smoothly but on 3 occasions has lost acceleration (and stalled once). My mechanic thought the problem was with the ignition-distribution system. He let the car run for over 4 hours and put a heat gun to the distributor- no problems. He replaced the fuel filter but it...

89 Honda Prelude S non-FI 5spd [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I need help with my Honda. Spark Plugs are the issue. What brand/size of Spark Plug is the best (across the board) for my car? NGK?

View more questions Search