Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajrohde Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 04:19 PM
    401k Contributions
    If I did not max out my 2006 401K contributions, is there a provision with the IRS to add money to the 401K for last year prior to filing my taxes?
    sherick11 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ajrohde
    If I did not max out my 2006 401K contributions, is there a provision with the IRS to add money to the 401K for last year prior to filing my taxes?
    HI. In my experience (I handle our 401k plan at work), there is no way to go back and add to your plan after the end of the year. I believe the only way to increase your retirement contribution for last year is through an IRA contribution. You have until April 17 of this year to contribute towards last year. (However, the portion that is tax deductible will depend on many factors.) Maybe you should ask your employer if their plan allows for any additional contributiosn towards last year... but I wouldn't get my hopes up. (Hope this helped.)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Once 31 Dec 2006 came and went, you cannot contribute retroactive to the 401K.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K contributions [ 1 Answers ]

How much time can elapse after an employer deducts employee 401k contributions from employee pay, to send those funds to a third party investor?

C2C/1099 - Medical and 401K contributions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have few questions about C2C and 1099. (I work remotely from my home office) 1) If I am incorporated and working as the sole employee of my company, Can I deduct part or any amount of the money I pay for medical insurance? 2) How can I contribute to 401K? Is it plain tax deferred...

How many maximize 401K contributions? [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering what percent of people in the united states maximize their contributions to their 401K accounts?

Charitable Contributions [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Gospel Music Band. I have not applied for non-profit status although the real income is much less the $10,000 a year. An individual has expressed a desire to donate a Bus for us to travel in, however, they would like to write it off as a donation to this ministry. Is this possible?

View more questions Search