Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ang_719 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 12:23 PM
    Can you join the navy if you have been in a mental institution
    My boyfriend went to a mental institution when he was 8. He is now 19 and wants to join the US Navy. I'm not sure what he went to the mental institution for (maybe depression) but he wasn't diagnoised with anything and isn't on any medication but is allergic to penicillin. Can he join the Navy?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
    You don't go into a mental institution for depression. That kind of incarceration at 8 years old tells me it must have been something serious. So I would have to say no, but he can always try.
    willenborg1993 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2012, 12:31 PM
    My husband is in the army, my best friend is in the navy, my dad was a marine, and my brother is in the air force. If your boy friend wants to join any branch of the service, he needs to tell his recruiter his side of the story and they will decide. They might have him take a psych exam or tests like that to verify he has no conditions now. He should bring in his old records to show how long ago it was that he was admitted. Once they review his request, they will let him know if he can join or not. But it is VERY VERY VERY important that he is honest to the recruiter, because if he isn't then they might not take him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too many tickets to join the Navy [ 7 Answers ]

Hey Guys, Im new to the site so any help is appreciated. I am currently 28 and recently applied to the Navy and everything was going good until the recruiter looked up my driving history. He told me I have too many tickets to able to get in. I want to know if there is anything I can do to get a...

Can I join the navy once off probation? [ 1 Answers ]

I was put on probation for some making a mistake I regret and ashamed of doing, and do not wish to talk about. But the case was called in as a Q.W.F. A (Continuation with out a finding). I was wondering if I would still be legible for joining the navy. Once said probation is terminated ? P.s....

How do I go about getting for probation to join the navy [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering what I should do to get off probation if I'm 100% joining the military? I have to take a drug and alcohol evaluation when I'm done with that all my probation requirements will be for filled. I was charged with breach of peace twice, interfering and 6th larceny under 100 bucks. I was...

How can I get my mother in a mental institution? She suffers from bipolar. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Ihave dealt with this disease for over fourteen years now, each time we were successful in having my mother baker acted (state of florida) because she was a harm to herself and others; ie: not eating, not bringing kids to school, having kids and herself living on the street. Since Jan...

View more questions Search