Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    few2many Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 05:19 AM
    Weeping cherry tree
    Hello, we planted a weeping cherry tree about 2 months ago in memory of my aunt who past away. I think my parents purchased it at home depot. When it came it had tiny holes in most of the leaves, but they were green and looked healthy. It seemed to be happy, I watered it everyday. This past week we had a heat wave and had temps close to 95-100. I still watered it every evening. Yesterday I went out and there was a very large spider web that took up a big space on top. I got rid of it, never seeing any spider. This morning when I went out, the tree seems to be dying. The leaves towards the end of the branches have fallen off and the leaves seem to be turning orange and yellow. Also last week a piece of the bark was curled away from the trunk so I removed it. It was green underneath the part that was removed. It is dying? What can I do to make it happy? The tree means a lot to me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 05:30 AM
    It sounds like (and looks like, from Internet photos) a beautiful tree and wonderful tribute to your aunt. If you Google "weeping cherry tree diseases" (without quote marks), you will bring up many sites, I read a few and it sounds like your tree is in deep trouble with a virus. Here's one site that has a good explanation: Diseases of the Japanese Weeping Cherry Tree | eHow.com

Is there a nursery nearby? If there is a horticulturalist there or maybe at a nearby university or through the state agriculture extension service, I would make a call or two to find out if there is hope for your tree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weeping Cherry Tree by Ran Su [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if this piece of artwork by Ran Su has any value. The label on the back of the piece states: House of Ran Su, Elmhurst, NY; it is titled "Weeping Cherry Tree" with the number 248 next to it. It also has the number 15168 at the top of the label. The front of the piece is...

Pruning a cherry tree [ 1 Answers ]

I have read differing opinions on when to prune a cherry tree. Some say summer to prevent certain disease and other say when the tree is dormant. Yet other opinions suggest in the spring after they first bud. I recently purchased this home with a mature cherry tree and not having see the fruit,...

Cherry tree [ 1 Answers ]

If I were to plant a sweet cherry tree would I have to plant 2 trees in order for pollination or will one tree self pollinate to get cherrys?

Trimming Weeping Cherry Trees [ 1 Answers ]

I have a weeping cherry tree that I planted about 3 years ago. The trunk must be a very slow grower but the limbs are everywhere, dragging the ground. The trunk is now about 4' tall and the thing just looks like a big bush. When is the proper time to trim these limbs back and how far back is it OK...

Cherry Blossom Tree [ 1 Answers ]

I have a beautiful cherry blossom tree in my backyard. The tree is located in somewhat of a bad spot though. It hangs right over my deck... with parts over my grill area and close to the edge of my house. Since I have no green thumb or idea I am posting here for some help. I have to cut a big...

View more questions Search