Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ryantheatheist Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Jul 9, 2012, 07:03 AM
    Why Does Atheism Offend?
    Hi folks, this is more of a topic than a direct question;

However I would like to understand why atheism in general offends people.

I don't believe in God as there is no evidence to suggest there is, atop of the fact that there are much better ways to explain the world nowadays which does not require a God.

However, I am still a kind and generous person when I can be. I do believe that I have a good moral compass as do most people too. Furthermore; I find that even though most of us are moral people, it appears only organised religion finds an excuse to condone murder, torture and even child abuse.
    So I simply ask; why can atheism, which is simply the will to question unjustifiable and unverifiable claims be considered offensive to those who believe?

Thanks

Ryan.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryantheatheist View Post
    Hi folks, this is more of a topic than a direct question;

However I would like to understand why atheism in general offends people.

I don't believe in God as there is no evidence to suggest there is, atop of the fact that there are much better ways to explain the world nowadays which does not require a God.

However, I am still a kind and generous person when I can be. I do believe that I have a good moral compass as do most people too. Furthermore; I find that even though most of us are moral people, it appears only organised religion finds an excuse to condone murder, torture and even child abuse.
    So I simply ask; why can atheism, which is simply the will to question unjustifiable and unverifiable claims be considered offensive to those who believe?

Thanks

Ryan.

My specific "take" on this is that I would never make a blanket statement like this about atheists if our positions were reversed - "it appears only organised religion finds an excuse to condone murder, torture and even child abuse."

Otherwise I stay off the religion boards.

Jul 9, 2012, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    My specific "take" on this is that I would never make a blanket statement like this about athiests if our positions were reversed - "it appears only organised religion finds an excuse to condone murder, torture and even child abuse."

Well I'm sorry, but organised religion does condone those things, I can find the passages if you like (But surely you would know if you had read the bible/Q'uran yourself). There has never been a man to kill in the name of atheism, perhaps anti-theism but never atheism.

My question is how can it offend people when I express my disbelief for God, yet it is all right for a religious man/lady to come to my door and attempt to convince me that I am wrong.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 9, 2012, 08:20 AM
    The answer here is that there are religious zealots who feel they have to convert everyone to their way of thinking. There are other people so deeply into their religion that for anyone to challenge their belief in their religion is an affront to them. Such people will take offense when their beliefs are challenged.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 08:28 AM
    You are tarring all Christians with the same brush. I am a life-long Christian and have no problem with atheists. In fact, I read books by famous ones to learn how they think and why--and then reexamine my own beliefs. And I am not the only Christian who does this.

Jul 9, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You are tarring all Christians with the same brush. I am a life-long Christian and have no problem with atheists. In fact, I read books by famous ones to learn how they think and why--and then reexamine my own beliefs. And I am not the only Christian who does this.
    Well actually I am talking to the religious people in general, and although I appreciate what you've said, I would still like to know what makes the people who do get offended tick.

Also in addition, it has to be said. If you read science books, and books on atheism then I would be very interested in your belief system, as I used to be a believer when I was young, then took Philosophy and Ethics at A level and I have been atheist since then, once I read more about science and atheism it seemed a no brainer to me.

No offense intended, Just expressing my opinion.

Thanks
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 08:34 AM
    Well i'm sorry, but organised religion does condone those things, I can find the passages if you like (But surely you would know if you had read the bible/Q'uran yourself). There has never been a man to kill in the name of atheism, perhaps anti-theism but never atheism.

My question is how can it offend people when i express my disbelief for God, yet it is all right for a religious man/lady to come to my door and attempt to convince me that I am wrong.

You don't have to be an atheist to NOT want people preaching at you at your door, on the street, on AMHD.

As far as there has never been a murder by an atheist I haven't researched and so I don't know - I'm not aware that's a question that is asked at the murder scene but, again, I don't know.

I don't know that people are offended by other people's religious beliefs. I can only address myself, and I'm not. What does offend me is people who preach, and that includes Christians, Jews and everyone else. If I want to hear what they have to say, I'll ask them. Same with atheists.

I have a relative who is a fanatical born again Christian. If I say it's raining, she quotes the Bible. That's offensive.

There are zealots everywhere in the name of just about anything.

You seem to have a need to defend atheists - why?
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 08:36 AM
    Too late for me to edit my answer BUT I notice you spend a lot of time on the "Islam" boards.

Why?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Also in addition, it has to be said. If you read science books, and books on atheism then I would be very interested in your belief system
    My belief is that God is so much bigger than humans can ever imagine. They tend to put Him in a small corral and build a high fence around Him. And out of fear of what they think He will do to them if they are "incorrect" in their beliefs, they also erect a high fence around themselves.

FEAR is the operative word.

Jul 9, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You don't have to be an atheist to NOT want people preaching at you at your door, on the street, on AMHD.

As far as there has never been a murder by an atheist I haven't researched and so I don't know - I'm not aware that's a question that is asked at the murder scene but, again, I don't know.

I don't know that people are offended by other people's religious beliefs. I can only address myself, and I'm not. What does offend me is people who preach, and that includes Christians, Jews and everyone else. If I want to hear what they have to say, I'll ask them. Same with atheists.

I have a relative who is a fanatical born again Christian. If I say it's raining, she quotes the Bible. That's offensive.

There are zealots everywhere in the name of just about anything.

You seem to have a need to defend atheists - why?
    I agree with pretty much everything you've said, preaching is quite annoying and that is partly why I've asked this question in perticular, as I was expressing my disbelief in all things supernatural, including God and I was told by my manager to keep a lid on it.
    I am in no-way defending atheism, the evidence (or lack of evidence on the religious part) Is more than enough to defend my view-point.
    This is all about how atheists tend to be ushered around, and people try to silence us.

Ryan.

Jul 9, 2012, 08:44 AM
    My belief is that God is so much bigger than humans can ever imagine. .
    If that is true, then how can you even contemplate his existence, and furthermore; how can you possibly have the knowledge to believe in such a thing?

Oh also, FEAR is the operative word. The fear of there being no after-life causes people to believe in irrational beings.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 08:44 AM
    in perticular, as I was expressing my disbelief in all things supernatural, including God and I was told by my manager to keep a lid on it.
    Hello Ryan:

You sound like you were trying to convert people... That turns people off. Maybe it's YOU that's offensive, and not atheism.

excon
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 08:45 AM
    If that is true, then how can you even contemplate his existence, and furthermore; how can you possibly have the knowledge to believe in such a thing?
    I do my best with His help. :)

Jul 9, 2012, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Ryan:

You sound like you were trying to convert people... That turns people off. Maybe it's YOU that's offensive, and not atheism.

excon
    Well no,
    1) You don't convert to atheism
    2) I was as calm as a cucumber, and used the words "Each to their own, this is just my opinion"
    3) They tried to convert me.

So, no.

Thanks.

Jul 9, 2012, 08:48 AM
    I do my best with His help. :)
    How does he help you, what properties does this help have?

Is it mental? If it is then the odds are you are helping yourself.

Ryan.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 08:49 AM
    I was told by my manager to keep a lid on it.
    The work site is no place for religious discussions.

Years ago, our atheist teen library page (book shelver) challenged me to prove there is a God. I met and talked with him outside the library during lunch and break times. We got the library homeless guy (former altar boy) involved. It was one of the best times of my life!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 08:51 AM
    How does he help you, what properties does this help have?

Is it mental? If it is then the odds are you are helping yourself.

Ryan.
    He and I have constant, ongoing conversations.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 08:51 AM
    You don't convert to atheism..
    Hello again, R:

It's semantics.. In fact, it's your justification to continue to tell people that they're WRONG... That offends people.

excon

Jul 9, 2012, 08:53 AM
    The work site is no place for religious discussions.
    Well, they instigated the convosation... I was asked what I believed.

And furthermore, How does he communicate... is it a voice in your head?

Ryan
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 08:55 AM
    And furthermore, How does he communicate...is it a voice in your head?
    Hahahahahahaha!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New Found Atheism [ 20 Answers ]

I don't want to start any kind of big debate here or offend anyone. With that being said I grew up Christain, with both of my parents taking my younger brother and I to church every Sunday. As I got older, my dad started working weekends and it was out mother taking us. After my parents...

View more questions Search