Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ryantheatheist Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Jul 9, 2012, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, R:

In fact, it's your justification to continue to tell people that they're WRONG...

excon
    Well according to mordern science, they are. You wouldn't go shouting at a man for saying water boils at 100 degrees would you? Yet when I say there is no verifiable, or empirical data for any type of God or supernatural phenemena, it becomes a problem.

Ryan
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryantheatheist View Post
    And furthermore, How does he communicate...is it a voice in your head?
    Hello again, Ryan:

You're offending my friend, Carol, now.

There IS a way to discuss atheism WITHOUT being confrontational and offensive... You don't know HOW to do that. I'd learn, if I was you.

excon

Jul 9, 2012, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!
    I thought that after you said you had on-going convosations, But I am not trying to offend here :)

Jul 9, 2012, 08:57 AM
    Hello again, Ryan:

You're offending my friend, Carol, now.

excon
    I am sorry what?. She offends my intelligence by stating that she is having a convosation with something she herself says we can't comprehend... I ask her a legitimate question whether it's a voice and it is offensive?. So what does he telephone her?

It was a genuine question to see how she communicates.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 08:58 AM
    Yet when I say there is no verifiable, or empirical data for any type of God or supernatural phenemena, it becomes a problem.
    Not a problem at all! There IS no empirical evidence for God. It's all based on faith.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 08:59 AM
    I thought that after you said you had on-going convosations, But I am not trying to offend here :)
    Of course you aren't. ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 09:01 AM
    It was a genuine question to see how she communicates.
    Hello again, Ryan:

It's NOT a genuine question.. It's CONFRONTATIONAL. How is it that you don't understand what's going on right under your feet? Are you a kid?

excon

Jul 9, 2012, 09:02 AM
    Ok well, looks like this is just going to get worse. I am going home now (I am at work).

I will pop back tomorrow when we've all calmed down.

Toodles.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 09:02 AM
    Only one of us is not calm.

Jul 9, 2012, 09:03 AM
    Hello again, Ryan:

It's NOT a genuine question.. Are you a kid?

excon
    I am sorry, but I am not the one claiming I can talk to a man in the sky... re-evaluate your position.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 09:05 AM
    I am sorry, but I am not the one claiming I can talk to a man in the sky...re-evaluate your position.
    Hello again, R:

I don't need to re-evaluate MY position. I'm an atheist. I'm just not an a$$hole about it.

excon
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 09:07 AM
    I am sorry, but I am not the one claiming I can talk to a man in the sky...re-evaluate your position.
    He's not in the sky.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 09:16 AM
    Ryan, you're offensive - at the workplace and on AMHD.

I was truly nice and explained my position. Carol disagreed and YOU became unpleasant.

Your "does He communicate by voices in your head comment" is demeaning to Wondergirl and indicates you are either very ignorant, very uneducated or very rude.

Or all three.

I find it amazing that the very person who finds people who preach is preaching.

Just out of curiosity - why do you have such a need to express your views on atheism? To "convert" us - or "de-convert" else or whatever else is involved.

I have a fair amount of experience with very sick people and also the legal system - there are no atheists in prison or on their death beds. I've yet to see one example to the contrary.

I have no idea what that means but thought I'd throw it into the mix.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 09:20 AM
    Hello again, Ryan:

It's NOT a genuine question.. It's CONFRONTATIONAL. How is it that you don't understand what's going on right under your feet? Are you a kid?

excon

Yes, he's 20, I'll guess a server, and his "two peas in a pod" 27-year old girlfriend just kicked him out - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...ce-678759.html. He was forced to move back in with Mom and Dad.

I'm working on what qualifies a professed atheist to spend large chunks of time on the Islam Board. Note that "Ryan" didn't answer.

I also note to my vast amusement that Wondergirl (sorry to pick on you) doesn't find it necessary to use the username "WondergirlChristian." Ryan finds the need to "RyanAtheist."

I am changing mine to Judykayteelegalstuff.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 09:33 AM
    Ok well, looks like this is just going to get worse. I am going home now (I am at work).

I will pop back tomorrow when we've all calmed down.

Toodles.
    As an atheist myself you come off as antireligious.

It's said better here: Atheism: An Introduction to Atheism
    "If atheism is not religious, surely it's antireligious?"

It is an unfortunate human tendency to label everyone as either "for" or "against," "friend" or "enemy." The truth is not so clear-cut.

Atheism is the position that runs logically counter to theism; in that sense, it can be said to be "antireligion." However, when religious believers speak of atheists being "antireligious" they usually mean that the atheists have some sort of antipathy or hatred towards theists.

This categorization of atheists as hostile towards religion is quite unfair. Atheist attitudes towards theists in fact cover a broad spectrum.

Most atheists take a "live and let live" attitude. Unless questioned, they will not usually mention their atheism, except perhaps to close friends. Of course, this may be in part because atheism is not "socially acceptable" in many countries.

A few atheists are quite antireligious, and may even try to "convert" others when possible. Historically, such antireligious atheists have made little impact on society outside the Eastern Bloc countries.
    Some atheists are quite vocal about their beliefs, but only where they see religion encroaching on matters which are not its business--for example, the government of the USA. Such individuals are usually concerned that church and state should remain separate.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 9, 2012, 09:39 AM
    I am sorry what?...She offends my intelligence by stating that she is having a convosation with something she herself says we can't comprehend...I ask her a legitimate question whether it's a voice and it is offensive?...So what does he telephone her?
    You started this off with a reasonable question. I answered that question, but now you are trying to impose your beliefs on others which is what you started complaining about.

This is a point I have made several times. I agree that there is no proof that God exists, but there is also no proof that he doesn't. Therefore it is a matter of faith and personal beliefs. You are getting offended because WG believes, why? Isn't that the same question you asked? So maybe you can answer your own question.

But I detest proselytizers and that seems to be where you are headed.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    As an atheist myself you come off as antireligious.

It's said better here: Atheism: An Introduction to Atheism

Perhaps wisdom comes with age -
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    My atheist library page friend was the same age when he confronted me. It must be a developmental thing.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    That might be it. In the same vein that peer pressure has absolutely no effect on me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 10:05 AM
    Atheist, Christian, Buddhist, Jain, Hindu, doctor, lawyer, Indian chief -- it's how we behave toward each other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New Found Atheism [ 20 Answers ]

I don't want to start any kind of big debate here or offend anyone. With that being said I grew up Christain, with both of my parents taking my younger brother and I to church every Sunday. As I got older, my dad started working weekends and it was out mother taking us. After my parents...

View more questions Search