Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brucelong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 07:15 AM
    Reinstall windows xp on a different computer without cd
    I have a ancient XP desktop with a OEM version installed. I can extract the key,(there is no sticker, have to use a program), but I have no install disk and corrupted i386 folder. I was planning to install to my 7 month old windows 7 laptop, as there is a 180 GB partition that is blank. Is this possible? And,if so how do I do this?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 9, 2012, 07:21 AM
    In sort, no, as the licence key you have is for the (old) hardware it was installed on.
    OEM keys work differently from others.
    peet caliman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 02:45 PM
    I agree with Curlyben.. You should get a full retail XP for best results, or try Linux Mint. But it can be done from what I have seen (BartPE+other software or Norton Ghost?) but it's not worth the bother I think being that it's an OEM and not legit. I guess you could try to test it out 'for fun' on a virtual machine on that same PC to see what happens, just make sure you abide the MS EULA, I think all you need is another legit OEM key - one for the host OS and one for the virtual machine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whip computer clean & reinstall windows [ 3 Answers ]

I would like know what software I need to whip my system clean. Thank you David

Reinstall windows Me [ 4 Answers ]

Problem reinstalling windows Me I made a image copy of my window Me disk as a backup when I first got my computer and over the years loss the one that came with it. Now I want to reinstall windows using my image backup disk and I can't . Can anyone tell me how to use the windows 98 startup floppy...

Unable to reinstall Windows XP [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with my desktop PC. I am unable to go into Windows, I am unable to use Dell imaging restore so as a last resort I have tried to reinstall windows from the cd. I can boot from the CD and it goes to the screen where you can choose to reinstall or repair. I press enter to reinstall...

Can't reinstall Windows 98 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I formatted my hard drive and tried to reinstall Windows 98 on my laptop. When I attempt to reinstall it says that it can't continue because there is a previous install still on the computer. I think the info might have gone onto my D drive and I don't know how to do a complete cleaning of...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

View more questions Search