Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kahani Punjab Posts: 510, Reputation: 203

Jul 9, 2012, 03:34 AM
    Is plastic bottle harmful to carry water?
    As the water is vital and a sensitive thing, I always carry the water, duly ROed and purified with me to my office. Today due to scorching heat and scintilating sun (shine) I took lemonede (lemon juice) with me, but my colleague said that it is harmful, as the plastic bottle, which I carry water in, is of a branded company of distilled water, and he said that these plastic bottles start emitting something poisonous and so should best be avoided or use and throw these after using it once or twice or thrice. The other colleague said that the lemon juice, becomes lethal after some time, and it must be consumed at the earliest.

Are they right? What is the alternative?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 03:41 AM
    There is partial truth to that.

snopes.com: Reuse of Plastic Bottles
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 9, 2012, 03:44 AM
    Plastic does emit, but under a lot of heat like a microwave or sitting out in the sun for days.
    Lemon, like any other food, spoils, and spoiling is hastened with high heat if it's not a food being deliberately cooked. The sun and heat can also start algae growing in your water, which may not even be harmful.
    So I wouldn't worry about what they say, but I would keep reading the latest research, which is still mostly inconclusive.
    Many cyclists use lightweight metal bottles for plain water, aluminum mostly with a non-volatile liner, or opaque plastic.
    water_drinker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2012, 11:11 AM
    Water is vital and sensitive? Plastic bottles emit poisons when reused? Lemon juice becomes lethal over time? Why wouldn't you Google the truth instead of believing in superstition?

Your distant relatives drank from puddles, just like dogs do today. Neither relatives nor dogs died from it. We all drank from the garden hose as kids without ill effect.

It is sad that you choose to look for a boogyman under your bed instead of rejoicing in the knowledge that humans are more healthy today than at any time in history.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Labrador ate Plastic Milk bottle. [ 10 Answers ]

My 3year old Lab ate a good amount of a plastic milk bottle, caps included. She pooped fine and has just vomitted up the pieces of plastic. I'm concerned cause after a 3rd lot of vomit came up blood began to come up too. It was really gooey and I taught a considerable amount came up. Do you think...

Plastic bottle in toilet [ 1 Answers ]

My cat knocked a plastic bottle--about 2 inches X 3 inches into the toilet after I flushed, and incredibly, it went down. How do I get it out--I've used an auger, a plunging tool, and acetone (I thought I could break down the plastic). Nothing worked.

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

Plastic Bottle and Breast Cancer [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I got an email saying that drinking bottled water kept in car in hot weather will cause breast cancer. Is it true. What chemical is causing breast cancer. I normally keep bottled inside my car. I am living in Middle East. During summer it reaches above 46 degree.

View more questions Search