Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donstamas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 01:46 PM
    Replacing a ceiling fan
    Replacing a ceiling fan... turned off all the breakers but electricity is still flowing... if the light switch is off can I still get electrocuted doing the wires?
    Mugsmaster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donstamas View Post
    replacing a ceiling fan....turned off all the breakers but electricity is still flowing....if the light switch is off can i still get electrocuted doing the wires?
    If all of the breakers are off the circuit should be de-energized. If all of the circuit breakers are off in one panel there may be a sub-panel somewhere or the person may have illegally taped the circuit from the main. Turn the Main breaker off then it should be dead. If the Switch controlling the fan is off the circuit should be dead if it is wired correctly. Make sure you use a voltage tester before you touch any wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing ceiling fan with ceiling light [ 19 Answers ]

Replaced ceiling fan and light kit with a ceiling fixture. The fan had a black, white and red wire. The new light has black and white only. The light is controlled from two switches one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom. I connected the black and white wires and capped the red wire....

I am replacing a ceiling fan switch [ 0 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan switch but my wires got mixed up and the colors are black orange yellow purple

Replacing a ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan that was originally mounted to a beam along the peak of a 10ft vaulted ceiling. Two issues: 1) the bracket for the fan appears to have been attached directly to the beam. The wiring is protruding through a bored hole in the beam. The beam appears to have an outer...

Replacing Fan and Light Switches on Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

My ceiling fan was disassembled by someone else to replace the light and fan switches. I have purchased new switches but need wiring diagram or picture so my son can put it back together. Wouldn't have been a problem if I was the one who took it apart! Step by step directions would be a big help,...

Replacing a ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I had a ceiling fan that wasn't working, I took it down, wired the new one the same as the old, still not working. I replaced the switch on the wall, still not working. Where the switch is< I have a black wire, a white wire, and a ground. Where the wire comes out to connect to the ceiling fan, I...

View more questions Search