Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    netman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Suing for false accusations from a competitor?
    Hello,

I run several websites, and recently, one of my competitors made some bluntly false accusations against me. He claimed that I start threads on a public forum to "steal" the replies to put up on my blog. These claims are completely baseless, and nothing on my blog is something other than my original ideas and tips.

He made these accusations, as well as calling me a fraud, in a public forum. About five or six times, I asked him to mention just one post that he thought was copied. Each time, he avoided the question and started to continue to call me a fraud and completely avoid the question.

He also went on to say several other completely false accusations.

The one thing I noticed is that after he said that I stole replies to put them up on my blog (that he said as a fact), he started to say things like "I think you're a fraud," instead of "you're a fraud." However, that turned into "you're a fraud" later. He also started making other false accusations without backing up anything with evidence when I asked him.

So here's my question -- can he be sued for libel (as I believe it's called)? I'm in the U.S. but he's in Greece.

He's clearly a competitor and just trying to ruin a reputation, but what case would I have based on these claims? And what about him being in another country?

Thanks for your time!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 2, 2007, 11:46 AM
    You can sue, but what good will it do? You have the problem that he's in a different country. You would also have to prove that what he said caused you to suffer monetarily.

So I would just give the facts.
    So & so has been making accusations against me that are false. When challenged to prove any of these accusations he has not done so. Is this a person you want to do business with?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suing an Employee for Slander [ 3 Answers ]

As mentioned in my other post here; https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/corporate-law/wrongful-termination-44665.html Is it possible to sue a employee (not the company who employes her) for slander, and defamation of character? As a result, both myself and my son have lost decent paying jobs, and...

Suing a company! [ 2 Answers ]

If you are suing someone for faulty goods (machinery) and you lost the first case at the county court or small claims court, can you appeal to the top of the hierarchy of the courts in the U.K? For example can you appeal to all of these: High court, divisional courts, courts of appeal, house of...

Amex suing me [ 5 Answers ]

From New Jersey Hi everyone, Well I was working a job and decided ultimately I needed to go back to school. My income declined sharply while my expenses sort of grew and I ran into credit card debt with Amex. My father offerred to help me and we attempted to settle with Amex, but they...

View more questions Search