Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r_bob1 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 10:38 AM
    BS 14 Not Starting.
    I have a Briggs 14 hp riding mower that will not start. I had carb problems. I fixxed that and changed the oil. I started once and ran fine. Then I stopped and tried to restart. I now get a click and sometimes a very slight turn. It almost seems like a battery but I have jumped it with no luck? In the past it has done this but, after a pop or two it would turn and start. Could it be the starter? Help please... Mower still parked in the front yard, wife parked on rear... :confused: :o
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Chances are pretty good your starter has developed a short. If jumping only produces a slight turn with clicking, I think its cooked.

Mar 3, 2007, 07:41 AM
    I it posible to test it? If so how. I have volt meter and normal hand tools. Thank you.

Mar 3, 2007, 10:49 AM
    It was locked with fuel after I replaced the needle valve. It gave me a scare!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 4, 2007, 09:00 PM
    You mean the fuel drained into the crank and filled the block stopping the engine from turning over, right. Same thing happen to me last fall. Be sure to flush the block out several times with oil to get out all of the gas.

Mar 7, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Yes and no - I only added about a cup of gas so it would not flood the oil. It was enough gas to cause the piston to "lock" in the cylinder due to compression. Then starter would not turn the engine. I removed the spark plug and turned the engine by hand to clear the fuel. Then it was back to normal. But you are correct that gas can... and has gone into the oil. Then the oil must be changed! Thank you, I very easily could have missed or not known about the problem.
    r_bob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting a new lawn [ 8 Answers ]

Looking for some advice about my lawn has I have little experience. We moved into this house recently and would like to have a nice lawn. We live in west Texas, so it's hot and dry. The garden receives very little shade as we're south facing. I'm attaching an image to show it's current...

Starting a company [ 3 Answers ]

Hello There, I am getting some contract computer work from few individuals and I need they to pay me to my company. I was thinking of a sole propritory company. Is this advisable or should I form a corporation . In case of sole prop. What kind of insurance should I be taking and also can I form...

Starting issues [ 1 Answers ]

:( I have a 1996 White lawn tractor model L-12. It won't turn over fast enough to start. I have replaced the battery due to it setting for the past 3 yrs. It starts fine with the help of a jump. It runs fine. The new battery shows it's putting out 12V. The output side of the old solenoid showed...

Starting a business [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in starting a business.. I need to know what are the things that I have to have by law before I do any work... can you help..

Just starting [ 1 Answers ]

Any loan officers that can help me start in the biz need some good sales lines for honest person ;)

View more questions Search