Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kahani Punjab Posts: 510, Reputation: 203

Jul 8, 2012, 12:56 AM
    How to 'separate' an article from e-newspaper?
    I often see people posting portions of articles from newspapers on social networking sites or getting their print outs. How do they do it?

Actually, I want to get the print out of the article published on this page, in the middle. This is an informative article and I want to preserve it in the form of hard copy for preparation of my Civil Services Examination. Please tell me how to get it separate and get its print out. In most of the newspapers, if we click at the article, it gets highlighted and we can easily get its print out. But sometimes, it does not happen. Also tell me how to separate this article to paste or insert in any social networking site, like FACEBOOK.

http://nawanzamana.in/nz/images/stor...e-2-7-7-12.jpg

The article has the title - ਨਵੀਂਆਂ ਉਦਾਰਵਾਦੀ ਆਰਥਿਕ ਨੀਤੀਆਂ ਦੇ ਇੱਕੀ ਸਾਲ and is written by ਲੇਖਕ - ਮਾਸਟਰ ਕੁਲਦੀਪ.

I hope for even those who can't read Punjabi it is easy to find this article, and I shall be obliged if someone separate it and insert it hereby. Thanks in advance!
    Tatla Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Jul 8, 2012, 09:11 PM
    What about consulting some web-expert! Or, some e-publsiher may help, I suppose? Or photo editor! But, I am not sure about all this.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 09:49 PM
    This is a .jpg file, which doesn't copy/paste like a .doc file does. You want to make it a .doc file in Word.

Here is what I would do: Go to Edit at the top of your screen and click Select All, then Copy. The entire thing will go onto your Clipboard. Open Word and a blank page, then go to Edit again to click Paste. Save it under a meaningful name plus .doc. Once it is in Word, you can isolate sections and copy/paste them for email or other Word documents. Always be sure to give full credit to your source.

ScottGem or Ben may have an easier way to do this, so check with one or both of them.

Jul 9, 2012, 03:29 AM
    Wondergirl,

I am so so grateful to you for the help, and today my article is published here in the same newspaper and it is below middle. I copied and pasted it in PAINT (it was not possible in WORD, or at least I could not do it) and then clipped out the required portion and took its hard copy, which I will keep with me, until I get the newspaper by post at my home address. The article is as follows -

ePaper
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 06:54 AM
    My Hindi (Urdu?) is very poor. Please translate. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahani Punjab View Post
    Wondergirl,

I am so so grateful to you for the help, and today my article is published here in the same newspaper and it is below middle. I copied and pasted it in PAINT (it was not possible in WORD, or atleast I could not do it) and then clipped out the required portion and took its hard copy, which I will keep with me, until I get the newspaper by post at my home address. The article is as follows -

ePaper

I assume it's important because you posted it. Can you translate?

Jul 10, 2012, 08:03 AM
    TEA – AS NATIONAL BEVERAGE
    Will it serve any 'public' purpose?

The announcement/statement made by National Planning Commission vice-chairman Dr. Montek Singh Ahluwalia to declare tea as the national beverage has ruffled many feathers. Without doubt, Dr. Ahluwalia has set the ball rolling, even as there are many who are counting the pros as well as cons of the announcement, which might translate into reality, on 17th of April, next year, on the eve of 212th birth anniversary of Maniram Diwan, the revolutionary and first tea producer in the country, who has first discovered the plants of beverage in Assam, and intimated the Britishers, before he set up his own tea garden and commenced tea cultivation and manufacturing business. There is no doubt, that tea has entered every household today, but there were days, when it was an object of disdain and look down upon. With changing times, it became an intoxicant and a medicine, even as it took time before the hate-stigma got removed.

No doubt, the tea-lobby is on toes to get 'national' stamp on tea, but there were times when drinking of tea could become responsible for ostracizing someone out of society. Few know about what happened 120 years back, when Bal Gangadhar Tilak had to seek pardon for having a sip of tea in a public meeting held in Pune Panch-hod Mission, on 4th October 1980, where Gokhale and Gopal Rao Joshi were also present. Tea was served in the meeting, and including Tilak some of the dignitaries took tea, while others did not. When this news was carried by a newspaper, the Brahmins gave a call for boycott of not only Tilak, but also his family and domestic helps. In January, 1892, Shankaracharya alleged in writing Tilkak of committing a 'blunder'. Later on Tilak sought public apology at which the issue was resolved.

Today, same tea is going to be national beverage! There is a strong tea-lobby at work, which has made the Plannning Commission vice-chairman set the ball rolling for the purpose. The eye of the tea-planters and tea-producers upon tax-exemption, heavy subsidy and gratis (free of cost) advertisement. The statement of the Planning Commission vice-chairman exposes the nexus between the authorities and the Capitalists, involved in tea-business, as the latter want to acquire the 'national' stamp to get a host of creature comforts. If tea is proclaimed national beverage, the money-bags involved in tea-business will no doubt become richer, as they will enjoy a slew of privileges, but, there is no guarantee that the national 'beverage' stamp would help the workers and labourers, who work day and night to cultivate the tea-leaves used for making tea. Commission aims at the hefty foreign market, no doubt, and the agenda of gloabalization, liberalization and privatization is no doubt on the plate, but what about the tea-growers. Only last year, Assam – which produces no less than 60% of tea being produced in the country, declared tea as its state beverage, but the problems of the small tea-producers and workers have gone from worse to worst, as the big tea companies purchase green tea leaves at petty price, which is less than even the cost of production, while 30-40% of the whole production is made by small producers.

Earlier, one kilogram of green leaves was bought at the rate of 25 rupees, which now has got down to Rs. 4-5 per kilogram, even as Rs. 2 per kilogram is pilfered by the commission agents, where as 10-12 rupees per kilogram are consumed for production of one kilogram of tea-leaves. On the other side, the overall sale price of tea has been hiked in the market for the consumers. Hence, the middlemen and the tea businessmen are the fellows, who have benefitted from the state-tag. Within last few months, tea producers have vented their resentment through a number of ways and have caused a stir in the state capital itself. Moreover, they threw about 10 lac kilograms of tea leaves on the roads, while the state government of Assam is a silent spectator. According to Tea Control Board, the ratio between tea growers and tea companies should be 65:35 but the tea factories are balatantly throwing the rules to wind and have become autocratic.

According to Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Vice-chairman of NPC, “Tea is the biggest source of employment in the organized region and half of its workers are ladies.” It is also claimed that tea is the healthy, tastiest and cheapest beverage, which is used by Indians to start the day, to welcome some guest and to attend some meeting. 12 lac people are attached with this business directly or indirectly, on which another 20 lac depend for livelihood.

But, those who are against tea given national tag believe that there are other beverages like whey (lassi), lemonade (nimbu pani), coconut water, milk and even pure water which have the bigger claim than tea, as tea has intoxicants like nicotine and caffeine, and makes the people addicted to it, while other 'beverages' are totally pure and healthy. Tea is used extensively in North India and North-East, but in the South, coffee rules the roost and is safer and healthier, as compared to tea. Moreover, national tag has been given to hockey, peacock, lotus and the like, but these national symbols have failed to even protect their existence, while now the 15th tag is being given to tea. What is the guarantee that tea will get special attention? If no, then what is the use of giving national tag, and if yes, then it will make the critics smell fish as to why tea gets special attention while other national symbols are victims of governmental apathy.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2012, 08:04 AM
    Just a comment - why is this important to a Civil Service exam?

I do find the stastics to be amazing - as I sit here at 11AM with my third cup of COFFEE!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I look old Newspaper Article for free for a crime that happen in 2005 [ 4 Answers ]

How do I also search old news clips from 2005.Something that was on the news back then?Trying to find old newspaper articles or news clips for 2005.How do I do that for free.searching for a specific.

I need help in writing a thank you letter for a newspaper article [ 2 Answers ]

A newspaper ran an article on services my company offers. I need to thank the author for the article.

Newspaper article [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a newspaper article with a fallacy in it. I appreciate any help. Thanks Kristy

What can I do if a Newspaper has a false article on my family? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, Recently, a medium-sized newspaper company published a story about my family's non-profit organization. This article was front page (2pages) and accused my family of really bad things. They published this article because currently there is a huge quarrel between two groups of this...

An local newspaper published a libelous article about my husband [ 1 Answers ]

Recently a paper where we live published an article about my husband. It made many claims, but the most insidious was that he had falsified a document and signed another person's name. Not only did he not do this but we have the copies of the board of directors minutes showing the man claiming he...

View more questions Search