Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clocloharvey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2012, 01:43 PM
    Wet area behind grout.
    So my husband repaired twice now our master bath tile area due to wet area behind the tiles that are now greyish again. Where the tiles meets the tub the grout seems to be obsorbing water and it gets up to one tile up. If I were to remove the grout and allow the area to dry what kind of materials in terms of seals, grout would I need to avoid this from happening again. I once told my husband to take out the colored grout and just use a caulking would that work? If no, please help.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2012, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clocloharvey View Post
    So my husband repaired twice now our master bath tile area due to wet area behind the tiles that are now greyish again. Where the tiles meets the tub the grout seems to be obsorbing water and it gets up to one tile up. If I were to remove the grout and allow the area to dry what kind of materials in terms of seals, grout would I need to avoid this from happening again. I once told my husband to take out the colored grout and just use a caulking would that work? If no, please help.
    There is probably sheet rock behind that tile that's already ruined... the only way to really fix it if that's the case is to rip out the damaged and wet material, and redo the job from scratch.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 6, 2012, 02:19 PM
    Grout is for between thet iles, not where the tiles meet the tub. That should be a bathroom caulk like http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1...w=1675&bih=824

Damage is done and repair may require removing tiles and whatever board is back there. You can not use drywall, you neeed cement board. They used drywall many years ago, switched to greenboard and they all fail in wet areas.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2012, 02:28 PM
    I actually prefer Cement or backer board... green-board is water resistant.. not water proof... but agree it is still far better then regular sheet-rock. Price is only marginally higher. But then I tend to overcompensate on the side of caution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caulk or grout tub area [ 37 Answers ]

The guy who demo'd my bathroom, installed cement board, then tile has done some things that I question - He did not caulk the cement board seams before putting up tile He did not fill new tub to test it before tiling. By the time the plumber came half of the tile was on the wall so there was no...

Wet Shower grout [ 5 Answers ]

I had some grout in my shower come out/ I used a Dremel and carbide tip and got the remaining grout out. I put new grout in two days ago and it is still wet and the tile has condensation on it! Any ideas?

Wet grout in kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

I have just re grouted an area in my kitchen. It looks good BUT the area near the taps keeps getting wet and looks much darker. Should I be doing something extra to keep the grout white in this area? Rest of the grouting looks fine, presumably because it is dry.

Shower floor tile and grout remain wet looking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new shower with 2X2 marble slate flooring. After each shower I take an area of "wet looking" tile and grout expands. I read up on it and seem to think that the drain weep holes may be clogged but my contractor doesn't think so (but hasn't checked to see which would mean taking out the...

Shower tile floor and grout remains wet looking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new shower with 2X2s marble floor tile. Every time we take a shower an area of dark, wet looking tile and grout expands. Soon my entire floor will look that way. I've done some research and think that the drain weep holes may be clogged causing water accumulation to saturate my floor...

View more questions Search