Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pamnmerv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 06:33 AM
    My Dog Hasn't Eaten for 7 days!
    My 3 year old dalmatian hasn't eaten for 7 days! I am so worried about her and terrified she will die.
    Last Friday was the first day she ate nothing. Digit (my Dalmatian) has urinary crystals, which is something a lot of dalmatians have, and was put on Hills Diet Plan Canine UD, tinned food, when she was about 7 months old.
    On the Saturday Digit threw up and was very lethargic, so we took her off to the emergency vet. She hadn't had anything to drink either at this point and the vet was concerned she would dehydrate. The vet wanted her in overnight but we didn't want her to stay in the vets and we took her home planning to squeeze a syringe with water to her all night if we had too. On the Sunday she wasn't any better and first thing Monday morning it was off to the vets again. This time they insisted she stay in, in order that they could rehydrate her. She was very upset about this and bit through her IV line and had to be sedated. It was awful seeing her in a cage looking dazed and confused.
    The vet phoned us up on Tuesday afternoon saying we could have her home that evening so we picked her up at 6pm but were surprised because there was no change in her at all. Still very lethargic, refusing food but drinking water. She was given tablets as they thought with her retching all the time that the lining on the oesophagus was torn slightly and she was also given antibiotics. Still refusing food to the point of when she could smell food being prepared in the kitchen she would hide! She retches every time you put a new food under her nose to smell.
    Back to the vet yesterday (Thursday) and everyone is stumped. They decide to test her for Addisons disease and take blood from her leg, inject her with something and we took her back in one hour and her blood was taken again. We have to get the results at 5pm this evening. This is now Friday and still not one drop of food. The vet suggested a tin of baby food -wouldn't eat it, chicken, fish -NOTHING.
    My dog is very weak and lays on the couch most of the day, she will still go outdoors for a pee and a very small poo.
    Has anyone been in the same situation with their dog and if so could you help me... please
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 06:45 AM
    I doubt there is much to do beyond working with the vet. You could try putting a baby food covered finger in her mouth. You could get a little into her that way.

You could read the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 I don't think it will be much help. It is mostly about taking a sick dog to the vet which you have, and picky dogs, not your problem.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Mar 14, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Impossible if your dog hasn't aten in 7 days it would be dead, the best way is to syringe feed it very very moist food, you can purchase large feeding syringes from your vet.
    brendac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 11:22 PM
    I hope your dog is doing better. I'm sure you've heard by now about the rat poison found in 90% of wet dog food. Read more about it here:

Rat poison found in pet food, official says - CNN.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

Exercise and Eaten right [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I'm doing really great in track. Track is helping my endurance and speed. But I have question what are some ways to eat right and stay in shape while doing track.

Dalmatian german shepperd has not eaten [ 1 Answers ]

Hello my name is Jeffrey Glass I have a dalmatian german shepperd and she hasn't ate in 4 days I was wondering if someone could get back to me as soon as possible I would like that either emial [email protected] Or I'm sk8tr6900 thank you jeff

14 year old Staffie, not eaten in 5 days [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the UK and my staffie, (a 14 year old staffordshire bull terrier weighing anout 23kg), has a heart murmur, but recently he started coughing, it turned out to be fluid in his lungs caused by the heart problem. I got some FORTEKOR, and some FRUSEMIDE from the vet, and the coughing...

View more questions Search