Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jul 5, 2012, 06:49 PM
    Cats urinating on floor
    One or more of my three cats has been urinating on the floor outside of their boxes instead of going inside it. I make sure that their boxes are clean and full of litter and I always wash the urine off the floor right away and wipe it with vinegar to get rid of the smell, but they still do it pretty often. Is there anything else I can do to get them to go inside their boxes?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 07:13 PM
    We have one female who does this, so we take a thick hunk of newspaper and lay it under the litter box and sticking out from under the open side (three sides are blocked by walls). If she misses the litter, the urine lands on the newspapers which soak it up. Putting a plastic mat under the paper would be even more protective of the floor. Of course, this all has to be watched and kept clean.

Have you changed litter lately? Do you keep it clean and scooped? Is it treated with chips or a deodorant? (cats don't like that)
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jul 6, 2012, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    We have one female who does this, so we take a thick hunk of newspaper and lay it under the litter box and sticking out from under the open side (three sides are blocked by walls). If she misses the litter, the urine lands on the newspapers which soak it up. Putting a plastic mat under the paper would be even more protective of the floor. Of course, this all has to be watched and kept clean.

Have you changed litter lately? Do you keep it clean and scooped? Is it treated with chips or a deodorant? (cats don't like that)
    Putting newspaper under the boxes is a good idea, sometimes when I lift the boxes, the floor is wet underneath. I change the litter every few months and scoop it twice a day. I use unscented litter, I think it has baking soda to reduce the smells.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making outdoor cats indoor cats [ 3 Answers ]

I've had my 2 female cats Sox and Princess since they were born. Which must have been 7 years ago now. All Sox's life she has been indoor/outdoor. Princess has been indoor/outdoor except for about a year of her life when someone stole her, they claimed to have kept her indoors. I'm 18 years old...

Older cats ganging up on newer cats [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have two 14 year old cats, I recently introduced two 4 year old sisters. We attempted to "introduce" them correctly. Over the last week or so, one of the older cats stalks and corners either of the younger cats with the other older cat joining in for good measure. The noise is terrifying....

My 2 year old GSD can't stop urinating on the floor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old pure bred German Shepherd named Dante. I trained him myself and up until he was about 2 months old he had grasped the concept of house training very well, being a German Shepherd he is quite intelligent. I had got him in the beginning of July and was home with him 24/7 until...

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

Cats urinating in new home [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I discovered my male cat urinating in my closet a few days ago... I have been watching him and checking the litter box often to see if he is going in there (which he is). My husband and I just moved into a new house that we built about 35 days ago. So, I was thinking that this is the issue. ...

View more questions Search