Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sallyxx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Deceased bank account.
    My mother recently passed away. My father has also passed away. My mother and younger brother were receiving social security benefits checks from my father. Both checks were for the month of January (she was living) and social security claims that they can not take the checks and re-issue them (since its technically her personal assets now) AND her bank will not release the funds to me without being executor of the estate. I do not want to become executor of the estate because I cannot sell the house (its more trouble than its worth)

So what am I supposed to do?
    The only option I can see is to debit the money
    From the account. I have her card n PIN...
    But of course this sounds very illegal.
    Its very frustrating to see money sit in a bank
    When me and my brother need it so desperately right now.
    Zoniac Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Withdrawing money from the account would be classed under fraud, however when the death was registered, which I am assuming it has been, the bank account would have been frozen, and they are aware of the death, hence they have explained to you that you need to become executor of your mothers assets, so it would be a wise decision not to attempt it.

A number of factors would influence the direction you need to take, primarily, how old you are.

I would suggest seeking professional legal advice, which is available free of charge from a number of sources.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 2, 2007, 08:17 AM
    I don't understand why you don't want to become executor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Bank Account [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend is being audited by IRS. He needs to locate an old bank account that he had when married. Wife has moved out of state and he does not know how to locate her to find out name of bank in year2000. Is there a way to find out information maybe with your social security number.

Authorized User of Credit Card Account of Deceased - what now? [ 3 Answers ]

Unusual situation perhaps... I am the authorized user on a number of US credit card accounts on which my father was primary cardholder. My father recently passed away overseas (as a dual citizen of US and the country in which he died) and his estate is being handled by the court of the European...

Access to bank accounts of deceased [ 3 Answers ]

My mom recently died without a will I am the only living heir. How do I gain access to checking and savings accounts that are in her name only What do I need to just have the accounts put in my name or what is the easiest way to gain access legally to these accounts Thanks in advance for any help

How to access the account of deceased [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My father expired last month. I would like to enable my mom to access the savings bank account that he held in Vijaya Bank. Could anyone please help me with the formalities. My father has not nominated anyone for the account. Thanks Guru

Deceased account [ 11 Answers ]

Hi My parents recently passed away and I had to close there credit card from bank of america and the outstanding balance I owe since they did not have the credit card insurance. My parents also had this card connected to there overdraft protection on the checking account for which I kept but had...

View more questions Search