Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radioflyer77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2012, 05:03 PM
    Where does black o-ring go on bath tub spout or where on threaded copper pipe?
    Hello,

I have a plumbing question. I recently had a plumber come in and fix my tub spout. The leaking tub spout was resolved but after the work had been completed I removed the spout without releasing the underneath screw with an allan wrench (so that I could thoroughly clean a mildew stain behind the spout). I twisted it all the way off until the spout was released from the threaded copper pipe. The black o-ring popped off ----- my problem is I don't know where I need to place the o-ring. Does this go back into the spout or onto the copper pipe? Is it necessary to put plumber's tape onto the copper pipe?

I tried to put the spout back on but it began leaking onto the back wall behind the spout again. Do you have any suggestions? Any would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Do you think it is OK to fill the back wall hole with clear silicon where the copper pipe comes out from the wall? I saw this done on a plumbing video.

Regards,
    Aspiring Plummer
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 6, 2012, 08:11 AM
    I don't know where I need to place the o-ring. Does this go back into the spout or onto the copper pipe?
    It fits just inside the spout.
    Is it necessary to put plumber's tape onto the copper pipe?
    No, but it is necessary to sand off the burr om the end of the copper pipe.
    Do you think it is OK to fill the back wall hole with clear silicon where the copper pipe comes out from the wall? I saw this done on a plumbing video.
    It will be OK to caulk 5the opening. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bath tub spout [ 23 Answers ]

I replaced my bath faucet and now am struggling (to say the least) to get the tub spout to not leak. It is a brand new spout that come with the faucet. A delta faucet. I cannot get the spout to not leak. I did the directions to a T and for whatever reason the spout keeps leaking through the...

Black water pipe underneath bath tub, is that connected to bath? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm taking apart my bath tub I guess its fiberglass I'm cutting it in pieces because I don't know any other to do it, but I saw that it has a black drainage pipe right in the middle of the tub underneath. Is that connected some how and can I cut around it or do I have to disconnect it from the...

Leaking bath tub spout [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Delta single handle bath tub spout that was leaking for more than a year.I have tried to replace the rubber seals inside the valve body but the situation worsens.Can you give me some advice? Do I need to replace the new spout?If so, how to remove the old spout?Thanks a lot.

Leak at Bath Tub Spout [ 4 Answers ]

We remodeled our bathroom a ways back. All new plumbing. My wife noticed a couple of months later, that we had a leak. The bathroom is exposed to the basement which is good. I could see the leak was coming from the kohler twin ell. The twin ell has a 1/2 inch pipe coming out of it to the bath...

Bath Tub spout [ 1 Answers ]

May sound simple to most of you but I'm having a hell of a time with this. The diverter on the bath tub spout lets half the water drian out of the spout and the other half comes out of the shower, I removed the spout and went to Lowe's home depot etc and they don't have one remotely close to this...

View more questions Search