Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vackley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2012, 04:37 PM
    Gave 30 day notice, charged for 2 days rent because no notice that I actually left
    I rented an apartment and when leaving gave a 30 day notice (at the end of my lease, as was required by the lease agreement), which they acknowledged. I moved out prior to the 30 days (on a weekend) and left the keys in the apartment - they have no drop box. I was then charged 2 extra days rent past the 30 days because I did not tell them I had left; however, it was my understanding that the 30 days notice did that (ie. My 30 days notice told them I was leaving on April 30th, I left on the 28th, but they charged me for the 1st and 2nd of May because they said I didn't tell them that I had actually left on the day my notice said). Is there a law in California that requires me to give a 2nd notice? How can I make them give me back the money for those 2 days (about $100).
    vackley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2012, 08:15 PM
    To clarify my question above...

I received a phone call from the rental company 3 days after I was supposed to have moved out (April 30), asking if I had indeed left. When I told them, yes, I had left on the 28th, they told me that they would mark my moveout date as May 3rd because they are not allowed to enter the premises until I tell them I am gone, and since I didn't tell them until that phone call they were charging me two extra days rent. When I told them that they knew my moveout date because I had given them the 30 days notice, they told me that it didn't matter because I still had to inform them on the day I moved out, just in case I had decided to stay. They took the 2 days rent out of my security deposit and have refused to give it back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold! Gave a 15 day notice am I entitled to pay the rest of rent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I rented an apartment to find that mold is living in my bedroom. I brought it to my landlords attention he tells me to clean it with bleach and water and not to get it on the floor. He says that there are'nt pipes behind the wall so this is caused by humidity and there needs to be...

My landlord gave me a 3 Day Notice To Quit after I had given him a notice to move by [ 17 Answers ]

My landlord gave me a 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quite after I had given him a notice to Vacate by 3/1/10. In the notice I included that my double deposit was to be used for rent. I feel this is very retaliatory as the deposit covers 2 months of rent, which I will be out before the full two months,...

Give a 30 day notice then 4 days later served with a 3 day vacate notice [ 6 Answers ]

I was served with a 30 day notice for a termination of Lease on June 9th. By my landlord for late payments. Then on June 15th I was served with a notice to pay or vacate with in 3 days by my landlord. Can he do this? I am not even a month late on this months rent.

Gave 60 days notice, Now what is my obligation for rent? [ 2 Answers ]

I was on a year lease which expired last month. The lease does state that after one year it will default to month to month, no problem. I am in the military and I found out last month also that I finally got base housing. The move in date is July 7th, due to the wording in my lease it says I must...

I left apartment and turned in apartment's keys and gave no 30 day notice. [ 3 Answers ]

Why did the landlord charged me the monthly month of rent and still some more after I left apartment 8 days after I had paid 1 months rent and told them I could not stay there anymore due to family emergency and unemployment reasons. I gave them the keys so they should not charge me for the 8 days...

View more questions Search