Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2012, 10:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Where in the H E double hockey sticks did that happen? I missed that news story.
    A 2 year old? Sorry, I may not have won the fight but I would have had to at least tried to kick his a$$.
    My kids for the most part were well behaved even at that age, but a 2 year old can be hard to reason with.

I don't agree with a ban I think every place of business should reserve the right to ask that an unruly child be taken out of that business.
    If my daughter and I go out to eat my grandson has to go with us, but neither of us would let him disrupt someone else's meal.
    I both agree and disagree Sam.

I do think that some restaurants should have the right to say that children under a certain age aren't allowed. There are restaurants with a very high clientele, suits, cocktail dresses, expensive, and a child really doesn't belong in that sort of atmosphere. But then, I'm one of those people that banned children from my wedding. I just didn't feel that a wedding was a place for small children (under the age of 10). I've never seen a child that had fun at a wedding, or could behave all night. It's a long day,boring, tiring and stressful for a child. I was criticized by some of my family for that decision, but I don't regret it.

To this day my children have never been to a wedding. If they were invited to one now I'd take them, because they're older, but I have to say, we went to a wedding last week, no children allowed mainly due to seating restrictions. But, Sydney and I were both invited to the bridal shower. We were the first to arrive, and within 10 minutes Sydney was saying "Mommy, I'm bored, what can I do?" She would have been bored to tears at the wedding.

Thankfully when more guests arrived, we had a huge surprise. One of Syd's great friends at school happen to be related to the groom (we're related to the bride), and we had no idea. Syd's friends mom was there, and when we saw her I begged her to go get her daughter. So Syd got to spend the afternoon with her friend, playing, having fun. If that hadn't happened it would have been a very long afternoon.

I do believe that family geared restaurants should accept children of all ages.

This brings up something that happened a long time ago, when Jared was still a baby. He was around 2, still in diapers. We went to McDonalds. He needed his diaper changed, so I went to the washroom and found out that there was no change table. Not even a counter that would suffice.

I complained. The staff member I talked to said "we don't have a change table because this isn't a place for babies". So I asked why they had inquired whether I wanted a toddler toy with the happy meal I ordered. Why would they have a toddler toy (for ages 6months to 2 years) if they don't cater to babies?

They had no answer for that.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 05:14 AM
    Haa, yep, I must admit the higher end restaurants didn't enter into my thought process, P F Changs is about as high end as it gets for me.
    So yes, in those cocktail and tuxedo type places I can see it as valid.
    As far as weddings go it is a private venue and your wedding, your choice, nothing wrong with that.
    One of my worst experiences was at my aunts' funeral, and it was my own nephew.
    I wasn't the only one thinking "Why doesn't his mother get him out of here?"
    Even one of my younger cousins told my sister what he would have done if that had been his child.
    McDonalds is as you know geared toward the adult customer in mind, what with the clown and the play place, and happy meals with toys, how could anyone think that it was a place for kids? :)
    Pets Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Haa, yep, I must admit the higher end restaurants didn't enter into my thought process, P F Changs is about as high end as it gets for me.
    So yes, in those cocktail and tuxedo type places I can see it as valid.
    As far as weddings go it is a private venue and your wedding, your choice, nothing wrong with that.
    One of my worst experiences was at my aunts' funeral, and it was my own nephew.
    I wasn't the only one thinking "Why doesn't his mother get him out of here?"
    Even one of my younger cousins told my sister what he would have done if that had been his child.
    McDonalds is as you know geared toward the adult customer in mind, what with the clown and the play place, and happy meals with toys, how could anyone think that it was a place for kids? :)
    I have to admit, the clown and the play place are the reason I go to McDonalds. :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2012, 08:41 AM
    Not too long ago... my boyfriend and I were buying groceries and behind us was a dad and his two kids... the one kid was just standing their and being well behaved.. the other kid (much younger) was throwing an absolute fit because she wanted chocolate cake. She punched her dad repeatedly and cried and threw herself on the ground and so on. My jaw just about dropped when I saw that little brat punch her dad in the face and than repeatedly in the leg.

I don't have kids... but if my child ever did that.. well, first of all, it would never reach that point.. but if it did.. I don't care who would see it.. it'd be close to child abuse.. That is so wrong!

I swear, my generation of people having kids are so lax, they won't punish anything their kids do. They allow them to act like wild animals and than wonder why establishments want to ban kids. And its sad that the bad parents with the bad kids are ruining it for the good parents with the good kids.
    Pets Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
    Lucky, I hear you.

If my kids had done that they would have gotten a smack on the butt, I would have left all the items I was going to purchase, and I would have left the store.

I really do think that part of the problem is that parents send mixed messages. I see it all the time where I work. Too many times I've had a child screaming while in line at my register because he/she wants something and mommy said no. That mother continues to say no, let the child have a fit, and then, when she gets to the register, after all the other customers have had to endure her child, she gives in and lets the child have what it wants.

What message does that send? Scream long enough and you'll get what you want. It also sends a very clear message to the other patrons, that mom doesn't care if we have to listen to her child screaming.

There are a few that stick to their guns, and truth told, when the person in line after them gets to my register, I'm always told "that kid was annoying, and a brat, but good for mom for not giving in".

Parents need to be taught too. If you're going to put your foot down, say no, then mean it!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2012, 08:32 PM
    Haha. I've seen that many times.

There was one parent that I thought was going to hold their ground.. they kept saying no.. And they sounded like the meant.. but the time they were ready to check out, the gave in and bought the kid candy... AND gave it to him. I was so disappointed! Lol

I was never allowed to act that way.. why are kids these days allowed to act that way? Is everyone so cared of someone else calling the police on them due to the parent actually punishing the kid?

On the radio a couple weeks ago, a person called in stating that a dad that she knew was sent to jail, got 6mo probation and so on because he spanked his kid in public.

I'm not for child abuse, I think its worng.. but sometimes people need to mind their own business.. and unless a SCHOOL TEACHER or a DOCTOR sees bruises on these kids, other people shouldn't be calling the cops on them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've turned my 4 year old into a spoiled brat, how do I fix it? [ 13 Answers ]

My daughter just turned 4 on Wednesday, her father and I have been separated for over 2 years. I have her 5 days a week and she goes with her dad 2 days-- he claims she is a perfect angel while there and he never has a problem with her. When she is home with me, she doesn't listen to any rules and...

Brat brat brat [ 8 Answers ]

Greetings I have a very good friend who has a 6 1/2 year-old little girl who was recently diagnosed with dyslexia. My friend has a very hard time disciplining this little one. She constantly whines, throws temper tantrums, interrupts adults, constantly handling things that belong to other...

My 11 year old princess/ spoiled brat [ 23 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, I will make this short and sweet, well hopefully. I have a gorgeous, smart, amazing 11 year old daughter. She is my life. Lately she has been the most LAZIEST RUDE OBNATIOUS KID THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN. She has been with this attitude that she has to get everything she wants...

My stepson is a brat [ 6 Answers ]

My stepson is a rude 18 year old and doesn't know how to respect adults. He thinks that he is 18 he can do what he wants and run my house. His bedroom is disgusting. It smells and is dirty I can't get him to clean it or do his laundry. He is very disrepectful. I feel that I am walking on egg...

View more questions Search