Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CliffyRenee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 03:35 PM
    If I no longer pay child support will my spousal support paid increase?
    I live in California and my daughter is 19 yrs old and just graduated from high school, I was paying child support and spousal support, now that I am no longer obligated to pay child support will the spousal support I pay to my ex get increased?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2012, 03:57 PM
    Probably not
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 05:42 PM
    Normally not, but then we have never read your spousal support order. You will pay and do as it requires, normally either a percent of income or a flat amount for a number of years.

Jul 4, 2012, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Normally not, but then we have never read your spousal support order. you will pay and do as it requires, normally either a percent of income or a flat amount for a number of years
    There was only a temporary order spousal support and child support order , we were married 19 years and the divorce was final in 2010. The judge order the temporary orders.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 05:50 AM
    What does the final order say about it? If the spousal support is to continue for forever then any change in income could bring about a modification. Why wasn't the order ever made permanent ?
    Whatever2011 Posts: 38, Reputation: 3

Jul 5, 2012, 06:02 AM
    From the point of view of the spouse paying support, the payor, a material change might be:

A loss of income, or an unexpected but long-lasting drop in income, such that he or she can no longer afford to make the spousal support payments; or,
    An unexpected increase in the payor's child care or child support obligations, such that his or her disposable income has decreased and the spousal support payments cannot be maintained.

If the court agrees and varies the interim order, the new order will also be made on an interim basis, and will remain in effect until the issue of spousal support is determined by a final order following trial or a settlement, or until it is varied again by another interim order.

Hun I hope this helps, if not let me know so I can dig a bit deeper for you. :)

Quote Originally Posted by CliffyRenee View Post
    I live in California and my daughter is 19 yrs old and just graduated from high school, I was paying child support and spousal support, now that I am no longer obligated to pay child support will the spousal support I pay to my ex get increased?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatever2011 View Post
    From the point of view of the spouse paying support, the payor, a material change might be:

a loss of income, or an unexpected but long-lasting drop in income, such that he or she can no longer afford to make the spousal support payments; or,
    an unexpected increase in the payor's child care or child support obligations, such that his or her disposable income has decreased and the spousal support payments cannot be maintained.

If the court agrees and varies the interim order, the new order will also be made on an interim basis, and will remain in effect until the issue of spousal support is determined by a final order following trial or a settlement, or until it is varied again by another interim order.

This has nothing to do with what was asked. On the Law Boards we try to give accurate information to OP's. Your information is accurate if the OP were the one seeking a modification. But the question is a what may happen as child support is no longer being paid. The OP has an enrichment of funds and not the other way around.

Also since spousal support is by formula there is no reason for a trial to create a final order. The only reason for a trial would be if facts are being disputed. Otherwise its all done at a hearing (less then 20 minutes).
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2012, 06:59 AM

a loss of income, or an unexpected but long-lasting drop in income, such that he or she can no longer afford to make the spousal support payments; or,
    an unexpected increase in the payor's child care or child support obligations, such that his or her disposable income has decreased and the spousal support payments cannot be maintained.

You missed the question - and maybe in Canada, not in the US. Interim order, final order, trial?

Jul 5, 2012, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You missed the question - and maybe in Canada, not in the US. Interim order, final order, trial?
    Hi , and thank you all there was no final order , the judge states she needs to find work the gavron warning was giving back in jan 2010, but now that there is no child support to be paid I'm just wandering will my spousal support get increased or with the formula they use to figure spousal support out am I at my max since I have been paying temporary spousal support since we separated and even after our final divorce . We are going back in August for a modification and I'm wondering if I will have to pay more spousal support, my ex is really has it out for me , this has been messy since day 1 , I'm barely paying my own bills.
    Thank you all for your replies!!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffyRenee View Post
    ... I have been paying temporary spousal support since we separated and even after our final divorce . ...
    If there was a temporary spousal support order pending the final divorce decree, that should have been supplanted by the final decree. If the decree is silent regarding alimony (a/k/a spousal support), you probably didn't need to be paying it after the final decree.

Be that as it may, no; whatever alimony you are obligated to pay shouldn't go up, now that the child support is done.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2012, 01:43 PM

Hun, first, you didn't answer the question AND your response is plagerized. I know that because this is not your writing style AND I also found the same quote.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you have to pay support until your child is 21 if they are no longer in school [ 1 Answers ]

Do you have to pay support till your child is 21 if they are 18 and no longer in school?

If you was ordered to pay child support and you longer have coustdy of the child do ? [ 10 Answers ]

If you are a women an you are orderd to pay child support but you can't because you have 3 other kids can't pay what will the state of Tennessee do to you if you are behind 7000.00

In ca does a lien for spousal support get paid by bank in a short sale? [ 2 Answers ]

In calif does lien for past due spousal support with judgement recored against the title precede the banks rights? Must the support be paid by the bank? What about in the event of repossesion?

If I raised my child for the first 9 years without support do I have to pay support [ 1 Answers ]

I have raised my son for 9 years without any help from his father. If I send him to live with his father will I have to pay child support. I would think not because we would be even rite?

In terms of spousal/child support, how do future commissions earned/bonuses paid get [ 1 Answers ]

After divorce final, How do any of payor's future commissions earned/bonuses paid get disbursed to payee? Calif

View more questions Search