Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jday6434 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 01:21 PM
    My husband wants to adopt my daughter
    My ex and I were never married, my husband and I have been married 8 years and he has been in my daughters life as dad since she was 5 months. The bio dad does pay court ordered support and sees her on summer visits. I want him to voluntarily sign over his rights, he lives in one state and I live in another which state do I need the papers from?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 01:30 PM
    The papers to allow the adoption by your husband will be included in the adoption package, Your attorney will contact the ex and get it all signed.

There are not "separate" forms, it is all part of the adoption.

Jul 4, 2012, 01:36 PM
    I don't have a lawyer I just wanted him to sign over his rights when I get my daughter back next month for school, I printed out a Wisconsin form that is for consent to termination of Praental rights. But I reside in Pennsylvania..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2012, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jday6434 View Post
    i dont have a lawyer i just wanted him to sign over his rights when i get my daughter back next month for school, i printed out a wisconsin form that is for consent to termination of Praental rights. but i reside in pennsylvania..

Whatever makes you think that he can sign over his rights? There is this myth that a parent can just sign a paper giving up his rights. But it is only a myth. Even if he signs a consent form, it has no force of law. ONLY a court can terminate parental rights. And courts are VERY reluctant to do so.

The only way you will get a court to terminate his rights is as part of an adoption proceeding. If you file a petition for adoption the petition will include the father's consent. Only then will a court agree to terminate.

Since I do not recommend trying to process an adoption, even a step parent adoption without an attorney, then what you should be doing is finding a local attorney to prepare the petition for you. You would file in PA.

Jul 4, 2012, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Whatever makes you think that he can sign over his rights? There is this myth that a parent can just sign a paper giving up his rights. But it is only a myth. Even if he signs a consent form, it has no force of law. ONLY a court can terminate parental rights. And courts are VERY reluctant to do so.

The only way you will get a court to terminate his rights is as part of an adoption proceeding. If you file a petition for adoption the petition will include the father's consent. Only then will a court agree to terminate.

Since I do not recommend trying to process an adoption, even a step parent adoption without an attorney, then what you should be doing is finding a local attorney to prepare the petition for you. You would file in PA.

Ok, thank you Im deff going to get a lawyer then..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband wants to adopt my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

My ex and I were never married and we have a daughter. He has never been in her life and cares nothing for her. My husband wants to adopt my daughter and I would like to know if we have to have my ex's permission? And my daughter was never legitimized. Georgia

How do I help my husband adopt my daughter? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 14 yr old daughter who hasn't heard or seen from her biological dad in over 3 years. He has not contacted her or anything. When asked about his daughter he says he doesn't want anything to do with her and he has no children. He pays child support when he wants which is hardly ever. I am...

My Husband wants to adopt my daughter. [ 1 Answers ]

I had my daughter out of marriage and her father has only seen her once he is not in the birth certificate but she has his last name. He has been in and out in jail and would get deported once he gets out he is illegal here we have no contact with him at all. Now I have been married for 3 yrs and...

Can my husband adopt my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father has nothing to do with her?

Husband adopt my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married and I have a two year old daurhter that's albino by a nothere man and my husband would love to asopd her. We have a nothere girl that's his and we want both of them to have to same last name. But the bad thing is I can't find my older darhters real dad but he's not on her papers...

View more questions Search