Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donjoan80 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 10:56 PM
    My monitor is not getting any signal!
    Hi, it started when I had installed a new videocard. It is leadtech winfast 7600 gt. And I had put in a new cpu fan on a 478 socket. Really big one!

Now down to the problem. I had just reinstalled my windows xp and was running along and playing wow on high resolution levels and felt the computer was starting to get hot so I installed a software that would mesure the cpu temp and fan speed. The software said the cpu temp was 91 degrees celsius so I turned the computer off and opened it up. It was hot but not that hot so left it that way for a couple of minutes and was connecting all the cords.

When I started up the computer again the monitor wasn't getting any signal!

All the fans are starting up and computer gives me its ordinary beep in the beginning but no signal.

I tried with another videocard but still the same problem... I have my TV connected allso so I tried to see if the signal was going out there but no... no signal anywhere. Is it the video card that is busted, the motherboard or maby I should get a more powerful powersource??

Everythins sounds OK... but it won't send any signal anyway!

Would be greatfull for any help!
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 11:11 PM
    Ummm this sounds like an obvious question, but are you sure the monitor cord didn't get partially unplugged while you were working on it? If all looks okay, you might want to unplug the monitor and TV cords, reboot your computer, then plug them back in to see if they are recognized.

Good luck!

Didi

Mar 1, 2007, 11:46 PM
    Yes that is done... but still no luck
    Thanks for trying to help :)
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 2, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Check that the new CPU fan is installed properly. I know Socket 478 processors run very hot, but it shouldn't be 91C, more like 50-60 under load with properly installed cooling.

So you heard the usual beep on startup, which is good. Do you hear Windows loading (i.e. hard drive activity?). If you do, then your CPU should be OK. Now it becomes a video card issue...

Mar 5, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC888
    Check that the new CPU fan is installed properly. I know Socket 478 processors run very hot, but it shouldn't be 91C, more like 50-60 under load with properly installed cooling.

So you heard the usual beep on startup, whcih is good. Do you hear Windows loading (i.e. hard drive activity?). If you do, then your CPU should be ok. Now it becomes a video card issue.....

Thanks for your help... I hope you are wrong with that last part :) my video card is only 2 months old... but why doesn't the other video card work then... my bet is that the motherboard has collapsed and that would be the cheapest too! :) I have left it to my local komputer store and will get an answer in 4 to 14 days so I will soon know I hope

But thanks a lot man :)
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 5, 2007, 11:15 AM
    I guess it is possible that the AGP or PCI-E slot is flaky, but I'm surprised the computer still beeps and continues normal booting. This stuff should all be tied in to the BIOS... :confused:

Mar 5, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC888
    I guess it is possible that the AGP or PCI-E slot is flaky, but I'm suprised the computer still beeps and continues normal booting. This stuff should all be tied in to the BIOS...:confused:
    Yes I think so too!! But it was wery helpful either way... hope I will get some answers now after leaving it by the store... thanks anyway

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor has no signal [ 3 Answers ]

G'day, My computer stopped working last week, initially was unable to turn the computer on or it would turn on but then stop (No beeps). Was initially told by a colleague that it could be a case of my hard drive has fried! Have started to replace hard drive but still have same problem. Am not...

No monitor signal [ 5 Answers ]

Hi people! Once again this common and complex problem. Clues: ~something smells burnt in the tower! But nothing extreme like melt parts etc! ~don't remember what I was doing before on the computer, or if it was working. I woke up and found it like this! ~monitor says no signal, monitor is...

Monitor No Signal [ 6 Answers ]

I restarted my PC yesterday and when I brought it back up, my monitor wouldn't go on. After I turned the monitor on it just said "No Signal" :mad: The PC does not beep at all when I turn it on. I tested the video card and ram and it's not that. I checked the connection from video card to...

No signal to monitor [ 3 Answers ]

Haven't used PC for some time. Switched on, however PC monitor shows 'no signal' error message. Tried rebooting, same result. Trying to isolate the problem, I tried connecting up a SUN monitor (suitable for PC) and get error message 'in power save mode. Activate using PC'. At this point, I...

No signal to monitor [ 1 Answers ]

HI, My computer decided to reboot its self last night and when it came back up there was no signal to the monitor. OK - lets check the monitor. I plugged it in to the laptop and all worked well indicating a healthy monitor and lead. Must be the graphics card. Bought a new one - same problem. No...

View more questions Search