Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gettingstiffed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 07:32 AM
    Is it illegal for employers to withhold pay stubs?
    I work in the state of Rhode Island, and the office I work for uses a payroll company for the hours we are paid. This is typical, right? Right. BUT, in the short time that I have been there, (since April 4th of this year), I've received only ONE paystub. Since I started on a Thursday, I was only paid for that day and Friday within my first paycheck. They pay on a bi-weekly system. However, since then, I have not received ANY paystubs, whatsoever. I have talked with other employees who have only gotten a few as well. I have requested the stubs, and was told that my boss has the stubs go to a PO Box and he allegedly picks them up on a Saturday, meaning we should have them when he comes in on the following Monday - but nothing. Again, I asked and the office manager's attention was diverted and I never got a straightforward answer. With what I claimed for taxes being withheld, I don't believe that what I'm receiving as a paycheck, enough is being taken out. And after being there a while, and see the strange goings-on, I'm wondering if something shady is taking place...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettingstiffed View Post
    I'm wondering if something shady is taking place...
    Hello G:

If they're refusing to account for your payroll, something shady IS going on. The key is, whatcha going to do? You can quit and sue them for what you THINK has been wrongfully withheld. They'll have to produce the books for the court...

I certainly wouldn't continue my employment there.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2012, 09:25 AM
    While federal law doesn't require a paystub, Rhode Island law does:

Rhode Island requires the following information on an employee's pay stub:

Gross and Net Earnings
    straight time and overtime pay
    hours worked (nonexempt employees)
    itemized deductions (upon request of employee)

Article Source: Payroll Rhode Island, Unique Aspects of Rhode Island Payroll Law and Practice

The article also lists contact points if you want to report it. If they use a payroll service, you may be able to obtain the pay stubs online. I work p/t for one company and their stubs are only available online.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay stubs [ 1 Answers ]

I change a pay stub document for an approved for a auto loan. Can I get into trouble even if I presented it but the loan was turn down.

Pay stubs [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get copies of my pay stubs as a former employee of Walmart?

H1 tranfer without pay stubs [ 1 Answers ]

I work full time for a company A in India. Recently, I had an offer from a company B in the US, for a consulting position, which I accepted. Company B filed for my H1B visa, and it got approved. I have scheduled an appointment at the consulate in Bombay for stamping. Now, when I tried to resign...

Pay stubs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: We are currently working on H1b visa with a small start-up company in Houston. However, we do not receive pay stubs for every month. The company issues us personal checks. However we are planning to get our visa stamped, and would need pay stubs as proof of employment. Is there any method...

View more questions Search