Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 06:11 PM
    Looking for a new career
    Hi everyone.

I've been thinking about this for a long time now, since I started back to work.

I like working in retail, but frankly the money, although helpful to our family, still doesn't get us ahead. It just keeps us afloat.

I did have a career before I had the kids, but it's not a career I want to go back to. It no longer interests me, and I've been out of the loop so long that even if I did go back, I'd have to take a few courses to update myself.

So, since I'd already have to go back to college, I figure why not take the big leap and find a new career. There's only one problem. I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. ;)

My interests and strengths are;

Very artistic (I'm a painter, a woodworker, scrapbooker. If it's at all artistic, I can do it, or figure out how).

I type 120 wpm. I'm not interested in a secretarial sort of position. Been there, done that, was bored to tears.

I'm a people person, and love working with different people every day.

I'm a quick learner, and work well with others.

I have been told that I'm a good writer. But then, my kids are biased. ;)

I've been leaning towards something in a creative field, like woodworking, cabinet making, writing, or something like that. But I'm not sure how to go about it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The long term members all know me very well, so maybe you all can figure out what I should be doing with my life.

For those that don't know me that well, ask questions, I'm more than happy to give you more insight on what makes Alty tick. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2012, 06:14 PM
    Those are your skills - what are your passions?
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Those are your skills - what are your passions?
    Actually, those are my passions as well.

If I list my skills then we're in a whole other ball park. If I go with the skills I have now, I'll end up back in commercial auto underwriting, which I used to love, but have lost the passion for. It's what I went to college for. It's what I know well. It's just not what I want to be doing anymore.

The thing I love most is woodworking, making tables, jewelry boxes, key boxes, anything that's wooden that can fit into my garage. ;)

If I went strictly by what I love to do, I'd be doing that. Sadly, I don't know how to turn that into a career, or even a business.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2012, 06:29 PM
    Have you thought about wood, perhaps jewelry boxes, bird houses (which are very expensive and very well done around "here"), things that are sold at exclusive craft shows?

My neighbor turned her love of basically stringing beads into a thriving jewelry business.
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Have you thought about wood, perhaps jewelry boxes, bird houses (which are very expensive and very well done around "here"), things that are sold at exclusive craft shows?

My neighbor turned her love of basically stringing beads into a thriving jewelry business.
    I've thought of it. The only problem is that I would need the money to buy the wood so that I can make enough product.

We have a farmers market, two of them actually, every week in my area. Yes, veggies, and breads and stuff are sold, but mainly it's crafts. If you have something no one else is selling you can rent a table for the summer. It's weekly, and the cost isn't bad.

But I don't know if I could get enough stuff made to make it worthwhile to get a table, even if only for a week (which is an option).

I'm afraid that I'll spend the money, make the products, then spend the money for the table, and end up selling nothing. :(

I guess that really the main issue is my fear. I'm afraid I'll fail.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 06:42 PM
    And you still are sitting on that lovely children's book that was so capably edited.
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    And you still are sitting on that lovely children's book that was so capably edited.
    I am. :(

Sigh. I do know what's holding me back.

It's a lot easier to work for someone else, get a paycheck, and know for sure that my work will pay off. It's very hard to take a risk, put something out there that either succeeds or fails, especially when you have a family relying on you.

If it were just me, I'd take the risk. But right now we don't have any extra money to put towards my dreams, unless we know for sure that those dreams will become reality, and not break us.

The book, well, I could send it to a publisher, or I could pay to self publish. But it's a children's book. They're a dime a dozen. Millions are written each year, only a very few become successful, must reads. I love the story, but will everyone else? Will it be worth my effort? Will a publisher even see it's worth?

The woodworking is at least something I have some control over. But again, what if no one likes what I make? What if I spend the money to buy the wood, work all summer building, and I don't sell anything?

It's a lot of what if's, and I'm reminded of what Stringer once told me, that you won't succeed if you don't try. You won't fail either, but you definitely won't succeed. It's just such a big risk. Maybe not to some people, but to our family it's huge.

It's a lot to think about, and I've been doing nothing but thinking about it for years. Sadly, the thinking hasn't gotten me any closer to doing.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 07:02 PM
    It's not getting published sitting on your hard drive. So send it out to a children's publisher. The worst they can say is no. Think of J.K. Rowling.

I'll help.
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 07:07 PM
    It's not getting published sitting on your hard drive. So send it out to a children's publisher. The worst they can say is no. Think of J.K. Rowling.

I'll help.
    Truth is, I have no idea how to go about it WG.

I looked into self publishing, but it was way too expensive.

As for sending it to a publisher, I don't even know where to start, or what to do, or who to even send it to. When I looked into it online all I found was publishing houses that offer self publishing. They didn't offer traditional publishing. I guess real publishing houses don't really need to advertise. :(

If I had an address, somewhere to send it, I would. I even asked an author (that had a website a lot like AMHD) for some help. Turns out he was a jerk (which I already knew from his book, but still, I thought he might be willing to give some advice), and wasn't at all helpful. In fact, if I write what he wrote to me, I'd get banned from AMHD. :(
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 07:08 PM
    WG, if you're willing to help, I'd be forever grateful. In fact, if the book gets published, I'll pay you for your help. That is if it makes any money at all. ;)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 07:11 PM
    I worked in public libraries for 30 years and cataloged books for half of them. I know stuff.
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 07:19 PM
    I worked in public libraries for 30 years and cataloged books for half of them. I know stuff.
    :)

Well then, if you're willing, I am. I'm willing to give it a try, succeed or lose. At least then I can say "I gave it a shot".
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 07:21 PM
    I just checked. I still have it on my hard drive.

Do you have the corrected copy? We need to make sure it's in final form.
    Pets Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 03:30 PM
    I just checked. I still have it on my hard drive.

Do you have the corrected copy? We need to make sure it's in final form.
    I have it somewhere, but it would take a long time to find it.

If you could email it to me, I'll look it over tonight, make some tweaks, and then we can go from there. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 05:51 PM
    The great thing you can change careers several times, I have more than several times, as one thing bores me I move on to something else. So go for the moon pick a dream

Work in a doctors office, maybe a medical asst ( my doctor could sure use a new person to draw blood, the one he has is not that good, I felt like a pin cushion this week.

A dog and cat groomer, artist and so on.

The skys the limit
    Pets Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    The great thing you can change careers several times, I have more than several times, as one thing bores me I move on to something else. So go for the moon pick a dream

Work in a doctors office, maybe a medical asst ( my doctor could sure use a new person to draw blood, the one he has is not that good, I felt like a pin cushion this week.

A dog and cat groomer, artist and so on.

The skys the limit
    Thanks Chuck.

I was tossing the idea of phlebotomy around, but I'm not sure it's something I really want to do, or if there are a lot of jobs available in that field, at least where I live.

If I could reach for the stars I'd be doing woodworking, or writing. Just haven't figured out how to make money doing either. ;)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 05:58 PM
    If I were you, I'd do the woodworking/building of things. Think of several categories to start with (birdhouses, jewelry boxes, recipe boxes) and set up a web site to sell them. Make an account with Paypal and get your shipping info figured out. Here's a cottage industry making hats that has taken off like crazy --

Winter Hats Kids Fleece Girls Summer Sun Hats Fleece Socks Boys Fishing.
    Pets Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 06:06 PM
    If I were you, I'd do the woodworking/building of things. Think of several categories to start with (birdhouses, jewelry boxes, recipe boxes) and set up a web site to sell them. Make an account with Paypal and get your shipping info figured out. Here's a cottage industry making hats that has taken off like crazy --

Winter Hats Kids Fleece Girls Summer Sun Hats Fleece Socks Boys Fishing.
    I love that idea. The only issue with selling things online is making your site visible. Even AMHD, with it's computer pros, is having a problem with that, because of the new Google.

I'm by far a computer pro.

I have a friend that set up a site. Great site. He's had 3 visitors. He was one, I was the other, and the last, who knows? He started the site 3 years ago. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to know about my career [ 4 Answers ]

My name is Rajendra,I am born on 14 September 1988 at 11:59 pm in delhi. I want to know when will I got a job. It should be in private sector or government sector

I want to know about my career [ 2 Answers ]

I am hunting for job for a long time but I could not get yet now the good oppartunity when will I get a good job

IT career [ 4 Answers ]

How would you go about starting a career working in help desk ? What is the starting salary? How long does it take to move between levels?

View more questions Search