Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lysabrown Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2012, 04:14 PM
    Per diem
    Can a federal company like HUD consider you perdiem as income and count it against you as in your total wages for the year. I have just asked a job to separate my check so that I receive a separate check. They never tax this amount. However it all shows on the year to date amounts.. HUD looks at my combined amounts like my total amounts for the year-as they use it to determine my rental payments.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2012, 04:37 PM
    What? You are paid for your "per diem" work. That is income to you.

You don't think it should be income to you?

Or something else?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 3, 2012, 04:38 PM
    Amounts paid (whether per diem or not) with no taxes withheld should be reported separately on a 1099 MISC or in a different box on the paycheck and W2. You will owe taxes on that, at a higher amount (double the FICA), so of course it's all 'income.' I think you will find that you are better off this way in regard to your rent. Are you sure your per diem has no withholding?

Jul 4, 2012, 05:23 AM
    Yes my perdiem checks are not taxed. I understand that it is income received however my issue is that the specific portion (per diem ) won't be considered as as an expense. In other words they are saying we won't allow you any expenses. So if the job is allowing me perdiem and its not taxed, is it considered wages, because they are adding my perdiem checks and my check (for services performed) as total wages. I get a w-4 and not a w-2

Jul 4, 2012, 05:25 AM
    [maybe my question should have been is perdiem considered to be wages. My issue is that they won't allow me any expenses and this is exactly what the per diem check is issued to me for; my hotel stay etc. They change my rental amounts based on what my year to date amounts reflect inclusive of per diem amounts. On my per diem checks the amounts are noted as miscellaneous. I am positive they don't tax my per diem amounts
    current pert

Jul 4, 2012, 06:47 AM
    Sorry - I thought you were working a per diem job like nursing. That would be wages. Expenses for hotels, meals, and travel are not wages and should not be lumped in the same box as wages on your W2. (W4 is the form you fill out at the beginning; W2 is the one you get at the end of the year)
    This is not to say that an employer can't issue one lump paycheck. Some of your sentences are vague, such as 'however it all shows on the year to date amounts.' As long as the totals are not REPORTED to the IRS in one lump, they can lump them on a paycheck. But usually they are separate. You say they are noted as misc, so that sounds separate, no?
    Now you are saying something about how 'expenses are not allowed' so you are losing me on that part. If your per diem is considered wages because you get a % of your salary for travel etc, then that can, I think, by law, be considered part of your wage. But since you say a) it isn't taxed and b) it's under misc, then I just don't understand the problem.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 06:51 AM
    I don't know if the discussion is about per diem wages OR reimbursement for expenses - or something else.
    current pert

Jul 4, 2012, 07:25 AM
    (The GSA sets yearly per diem rates for work related travel and other travel related expenses.)
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    (The GSA sets yearly per diem rates for work related travel and other travel related expenses.)

Right, I worked for the Feds and they were sticklers.

We also had expense accounts. Yes, my per diem was considered income and taxes were not taken BUT all of my expenses (which were paid by per diem) were deductions.

I have asked that this be moved to taxes but it's a holiday and I don't know where everyone is.

And, Joy - Happy Independence Day - and stay safe.
    current pert

Jul 4, 2012, 08:11 AM
    Thanks, JKT, you too. I ain't goin' nowhere.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Thanks, JKT, you too. I ain't goin' nowhere.

I'd expect that HUD payroll knows the law and does payroll right, but what do I know.
    Happy Undependents Day!
    Happy Underpants Day!

Laughing, laughing, laughing -

Jul 4, 2012, 11:58 AM
    Im sorry... when I say they I am referring to my original question about HUD... I have no problem with my job. I am trying to prove that my per diem check should not be considered wages. HUD counts my wages and perdiem all as wages. I thought they should only count my actual wages. For example they have reported all my income for 2011 to be such and such dollar amount and they are saying you are making too much money to be on the program. My argument is that they should not be using my per diem as wages counted against me and in that case my total wages separated from per diem amounts would be substantially less therefore rendering me to remain eligible for the program. I thank you for trying to understand and the replies thus far.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 04:04 PM
    I have to admit I don't understand - monies paid to you are wages.

What I am missing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reimbursable per diem vs. employer paid per diem [ 2 Answers ]

Can you file a shortage for per diem on your taxes? If so, what basis is used to determine that difference?

Per Diem [ 2 Answers ]

Is Per Diem Taxable? If I am paying an employee for out of town meals, $8.00 per day while working on a special project.

Per Diem [ 2 Answers ]

My sister works as a TSA screener at the airport. Now they send her out to different states doing the same thing Transportation Security Administration. Gets free room and board so much money for food plus per diem. She made about 14000.00 in per diem and 38000.00 in groos wages. Now does she...

Per Diem in CA [ 8 Answers ]

I have received a daily per diem from a company I work for in San Francisco. I have now been in CA for a year, but still travel home for a week every month. The company has now taken my Per Diem saying that the new CA law states that after a year of subsistence it can be taxed. I have looked for...

Per diem [ 2 Answers ]

Can per diem be paid to employees who commute 40 miles or more to work, but do not stay away from home overnight? If so is this non taxable and if so, are receipts required? Or is the amount paid all taxable

View more questions Search