Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alanta57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2012, 01:31 PM
    Can you fire an employee for being sick
    My dad has suffered from a bad back for a long time, he has curvature of the spine but it doesn't usually cause him problems. During work he lifted heavy fridges which is not part of his job as he is a delivery driver but he is constantly expected to unload and reload vans. Due to this his back cramped up and he was stuck on the floor for hours while I got him medication from the doctors. He was off for 3 days (monday-wednesday) and then on Thursday rang his boss and asked for his van back. His boss then told him he no longer had a job as he didn't think he was fit to work. He doesn't usually have days off sick, maybe more than the average person but not excessively. Is this lawful?
    Oh and not only was his movement too limited to drive but the medication prescribed was so strong it would not have been safe for him to be driving a van. I'm looking for answers regarding english law.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2012, 01:40 PM
    Covered by WC where he works? Were they aware of his spine curvature? Sounds like it should have been a Workers Comp claim and they can't fire you for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

May a full-time employee also work as a temporary employee for the same company? [ 3 Answers ]

We are a small CBRF (community based residential facility) in Wisconsin, with 12 full-time employees. In the past when a full-time employee could not work we either have a temporary/pool employee to work ($12.00 per hour). However, sometimes pool employees are unavailable. In that case we have...

Sick Employee [ 4 Answers ]

I am an employee for a hospital. When I started I had noticed that my energy level was down a bit, and through the course of three months I would have days where I would have a fever of 101 I was not to overlly concerned I was pulling 12 hr shifts 6 days a week with one day off to recoup. I finally...

Just so much drama with an employee. Can I fire her because I just don't like her? [ 15 Answers ]

She has been confrontational, beligerent and downright rude to me, the owner. She complains about everything. Nothing in the shop is to her liking. I have spent about $2,500 in improvements but she finds more to complain about. I have put up signs and held employee meetings about things she is not...

I am a salaried employee and if I am out sick the job wants me to make up the days? [ 1 Answers ]

I am salary employee and I take off sick from work and my employer wants me to make up these days that I was off sick. But I was under a Doctor"s care and provided a note for each days missed?

View more questions Search