Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tatla Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Jul 3, 2012, 12:20 AM
    How to READ?
    I am very crazy about writers and writings, and I want to read a lot, before I start writing again, even as I have written extensively, so I think. But I want to read a lot and want to read the works of Charles ens, Thomas Hardy, Joseph Conrad and others. But, whenever I start writing, I can't go beyond a few pages. Sometimes I can't even read the first page. My daughter always insist that I should tell her the story of Alice (in Wonderland) but I have read only a few chapters and repeat it always to her (I am from India) and she says, "Papa, what happened afterwards?" I do not want to lie to her. I mean I shall not concoct the story myself as she will read it later on and will catch me red-handed. One thing more, I am concerned about younger generation not reading books and I want my 5 year old daughter to be a great reader. What should I do to inspire her to be a great reader. Once again, I want myself to be a reader too. I have got great collection of rare and nice books. Many are reference books on psychology, classical works (literary) and motivation books. Give me tips (all those great readers) to read a lot in a short time. I fear I will not be able to all the reading stuff I have collected over the years within my life. Only to spare time to read books, I have stopped giving tuitions.

Recently I purchased O Henry and Chekhov collections (of stories) but I have read only a few of the very popular stories only, but I found most of other stories boring. Why is it?
    Kahani Punjab Posts: 510, Reputation: 203

Jul 4, 2012, 05:55 PM
    Tell what you have read so far?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2012, 08:19 AM
    I realize you were trying to read Shakespeare.

What does this mean - "But, whenever I start writing, I can't go beyond a few pages. Sometimes I can't even read the first page."

Are you asking about a reading disability, something else?
    Tatla Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Jul 6, 2012, 10:50 PM
    Reading... that is what I have intended to write actually!

No witing or reading disability in that aphasia or aphlexia sense. No. I read the matter if it is interesting and I have read much but still there is much which remains to be read, for example I have read most of the literature in Punjabi and Hindi even as I want to read more and more and learn and understand and grasp and evaluate all, or much more. Still, some of the great books like Mother by Gorky or King Lear/Othelo/Hamlet or Macbeth by Shakespeare are still lying unread in my almirah.

My request is to all the persons who read much to give me some tips to improve my reading ability. That is why I have put this query here.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jul 6, 2012, 11:15 PM
    Holy Macaroni Tatla... (Kahni Punjab)! If you are wanting to read things because you think you are suppose to read them to be considered a well versed reader - and you truly don't understand the reading, or you find yourself not interested in the writing - then read something else!

Shakespear is considered a legendary playwright, but reading his works can be difficult. There are things called 'cliff notes' (the bane of every high school writng teacher) that give the bare bones description of the writing you are trying the read. Try using the cliff notes, and watching any movie that has been made based off the story, and then try reading the work again. If you are having such a difficult time with understanding (and interest) with a particular piece of literature, I would imagine that having some sort of background on it would help you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2012, 11:21 PM
    It seems to me that you think that reading the "great works" of "great authors", is the only way to consider yourself "well read".

I don't know a single person that can get through a book they find boring.

Instead of concentrating on what you think you should be reading, concentrate on the things you enjoy reading, even if it's an Archie comic book, you're still reading.

It doesn't matter what you read, it just matters that you do.

Jul 7, 2012, 06:06 AM
    Charles Lamb (and his wife) has written the (sort of) abstracts of the Shakespearean plays and these are available under the title TALES FROM SHAKESPEARE. I think you can start from that. And Aliseaodo, what do you mean by writing, "Holy Macaroni Tatla... (Kahni Punjab)!! If you ...................."
    Can you please tell?
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2012, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahani Punjab View Post
    Charles Lamb (and his wife) has written the (sort of) abstracts of the Shakespearean plays and these are available under the title TALES FROM SHAKESPEARE. I think you can start from that. And Aliseaodo, what do you mean by writing, "Holy Macaroni Tatla... (Kahni Punjab)!! If you ...................."
    Can you please tell?

I can't speak for anyone else but I think Tatla is either one of your students or one of your friends... or you. I've said it before on the Board.

On some threads Tatla is a writer; on others he/she collects books; here he is having trouble reading. Minimally I don't think "we" are getting the whole story.
    Perhaps that is what Aliseaodo is thinking, too.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 06:26 AM
    Tatla, please do not worry about reading all of every single writer. Read the short stories/books/plays that appeal to you. If something does not catch your fancy right away, put it down and try something else. I became an excellent reader and writer by reading Disney (Uncle Scrooge) comics as a child. Many so-called classics bore me, so I don't bother with them, but use my valuable time to read the things that I like. In a short story collection/anthology, I mark the stories I have read, and maybe later, when in a different mood, unread stories will be appealing to me--or not .

I figure in the next life, I will have time to read unread writings. :)+

Jul 7, 2012, 08:27 AM
    O so nice reply by Wondergirl, esp the quote, "I figure in the next life, I will have time to read unread writings" which really hits my mind too quite often. I also hope I would be able to read the books and literature left unread. Joseph Conrad is a difficult writer, so is VS Naipaul. Virginia Woolf is boring but why not go for Jane Austen? She is quite impressive, easy and learnable (social values et al). Charles ens is no doubt popular but his novels are very bulky and so I do not suggest you to go for CD if you are just a beginner. Have you read Charles ens, Wondergirl? And, any other person here who has read ens?

Wondergirl, I do not have the 'quote' option on my skin and so I have to write it as it is.

JudyKayTee, if Tatla's posts differ in reference to the subject matter (s)he writes, it is his/her problem. Why do you single out me? (S)he can be anyone out here or nobody out here? If I, why not you? (No offence intended)
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 08:30 AM
    Kahani - 'Holy Macaroni' is a phrase that can be used when you are surprised, excited, or, in this case exasperated! Tatla seems overly concerned (obsessed?) with the whole reading writing classics thing. I mentioned you because, as JudyKayTee mentioned, there is some odd connection between ALL of Tatlas posts, and you. Case in point, I find it strange that you asked me what I meant about Holy Macaroni but Tatla didn't, even though this is Tatlas post. I have enjoyed reading a few of your posts in the past, you seem like a truly curious, positive person. There's just something kooky about the whole Tatla thing, that's all. (JKT - have to spread some rep, but you hit the nail on the head!)
    *edited* - I should not have said all Tatlas posts, but enough of them to make someone go, 'hmmm'
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 08:36 AM
    I have read some of D*ickens' works. My son adores him and has read nearly everything he has written. A Christmas Carol is a good one to start with. A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations are the other two I have read -- but be sure to read up on the historical background and literary allusions so those two novels will have more meaning for you.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2012, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahani Punjab View Post
    O so nice reply by Wondergirl, esp the quote, "I figure in the next life, I will have time to read unread writings" which really hits my mind too quite often. I also hope I would be able to read the books and literature left unread. Joseph Conrad is a difficult writer, so is VS Naipaul. Virginia Woolf is boring but why not go for Jane Austen? She is quite impressive, easy and learnable (social values et al). Charles ens is no doubt popular but his novels are very bulky and so I do not suggest you to go for CD if you are just a beginner. Have you read Charles ens, Wondergirl? And, any other person here who has read ens?

Wondergirl, I do not have the 'quote' option on my skin and so I have to write it as it is.

JudyKayTee, if Tatla's posts differ in reference to the subject matter (s)he writes, it is his/her problem. Why do you single out me? (S)he can be anyone out here or nobody out here? If I, why not you? (No offence intended)

I'm was an English major - admittedly I've forgotten a thing or two BUT who is Charles Ens?

I don't know what "if Tatla's posts differe in reference to the subject matter" means -

I don't single you out, and I'm not going to repost old threads where I have found your advice to be, at best, odd - perhaps not by Indian standards and I've asked you to explain that but you have chosen not to do so. Anyone here can research your name and pull up those posts.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm was an English major - admittedly I've forgotten a thing or two BUT who is Charles Ens?
    English major, teacher, and retired librarian here. D*ickens. Skilled sleuthing brought me to that quick conclusion.

Kahani doesn't spend a lot of time on the site, so she may not have seen questions to her. As far as I can tell, tatla and Kahani are two different people, if that is what is being asked, but from the same area with similar ways to express themselves.

And I'm waiting for Kahani to send me an essay for the blog. Maybe tatla would be willing to do the same. Information about their country and Kahani's translating and tatla's effort to read classics might be fun to read about.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2012, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    English major, teacher, and retired librarian here. D*ickens. Skilled sleuthing brought me to that quick conclusion.

Kahani doesn't spend a lot of time on the site, so she may not have seen questions to her. As far as I can tell, tatla and Kahani are two different people, if that is what is being asked, but from the same area with similar ways to express themselves.

And I'm waiting for Kahani to send me an essay for the blog. Maybe tatla would be willing to do the same. Information about their country and Kahani's translating and tatla's effort to read classics might be fun to read about.
    I suggested that to Kahani and never heard back from her. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Some of the posts - to attract a man shave your armpits and then expose them, for example; clothing as a gift prior to a first date - have GOT to be cultural differences and I'd like to know the "norm" in India.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 09:19 AM
    I'll fire up my PM machine.

Oh, and don't forget the time difference -- it's time for them to be in bed now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you read nutrition labels? Would you read them if they were 1-5 stars? [ 6 Answers ]

A study released today proved what most of us probably already know - a lot of us don't look at the nutrition labels on the food we buy very closely. Do you? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1e/Nutrition_label.gif/300px-Nutrition_label.gif What do you look for? Would you be...

Cannot read CD, but I can read other CDs [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to load a version4 of Scrapbook Factory without success. The drive starts but then nothing. I am able to read other CDs and also a previous version of Scrapbook Factory. I am baffled.

DVDWriter Read DVD Don't Read CD [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have LG DVD Writer it was reading all kinds of CD & DVD's but now it reads all DVD's but don't read except a few number of CD's. My DVD writer writes successfully CD's & DVD's What is the solution for not reading the CD's. Thanks

View more questions Search