Mar 1, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Speed of the earth's rotation
    At what speed does the earth revolve around the sun
    saturday Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 05:44 PM
    30 kilometers per second
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

May 3, 2007, 11:23 AM
    More info about the earth's rotational speed at Speed of the Earth's Rotation
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 05:34 PM
    1 RPY(Revolution per year(Earth)). At the bottom end of the dial. It spins about 365 times during that time
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 23, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Approximately 65,000 mph or (105,000 kph), which is approx. 18 1/2 miles a second.
    One thing to remember is that Earth's orbit is slightly elliptical which causes it to accelerate as it gets closer to the Sun and decelerate gradually as it moves away giving it an average speed of 29.658 km/s. In short, its fastest when closest to the Sun--perihelion--and slowest when farthest from the Sun--aphelion.

Speed of the Earth in Orbit
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 23, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Errrm, starman did you just use commas in 2 different ways here?
    -

May 24, 2007, 03:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Errrm, starman did you just use commas in 2 different ways here?
    Average speed of 29.658 km/s

Thanks for pointing out the typo.
    lew lew 12345 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jun 25, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellhunt
    at what speed does the earth revolve around the sun
    6000mph
    Skrypt Posts: 156, Reputation: 25

Jul 15, 2007, 07:13 PM
    HOLY CRAP. That means if somehow by freak force of nature that the earth slowed down everything would fly around.

Jul 16, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrypt
    HOLY CRAP. that means if somehow by freak force of nature that the earth slowed down everything would fly around.
    This is not true. The Earth, unlike any spinning object you can possibly hold and touch, has an immense gravitational field. It is not centripetal force that holds you to the surface of the earth, it is gravity.

The Earth's gravity is is pulling you towards it at the rate of 9.8 meters per second per second. If it slowed down to no spin whatsoever, there would still be gravity. It is dependent solely on the mass of two objects (you and the earth) and the distance between them. The closer the distance, and/or the larger the mass, the greater the gravitational force between the two.

Check out Earth's Mass - EnchantedLearning.com for more information about figuring out gravity equations.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupport
    This is not true. The Earth, unlike any spinning object you can possibly hold and touch, has an immense gravitational field. It is not centripetal force that holds you to the surface of the earth, it is gravity.

The Earth's gravity is is pulling you towards it at the rate of 9.8 meters per second per second. If it slowed down to no spin whatsoever, there would still be gravity. It is dependent solely on the mass of two objects (you and the earth) and the distance between them. The closer the distance, and/or the larger the mass, the greater the gravitational force between the two.

Check out Earth's Mass - EnchantedLearning.com for more information about figuring out gravity equations.
    Actually, the Earth would have to spin FASTER to through you off, not the other way around as skrypt says. Centripetal force is required to make something move in a circle, gravity provides this force. Gravity is constant, so if the Earth spins so fast that you need 9.8m/s/s of centripetal acceleration, there's no gravity left to attract you towards the Earth, you'd be effectively in orbit at ground level.
    -

Jul 26, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Orbit is impossible without gravity.

Orbit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Centripetal force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 10:12 PM
    I didn't say there was no gravity...

Jul 27, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Okay, I think the question has been answered. The rest of this conversation is answering a much different question (or set of questions).
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 05:46 AM
    But equally intriguing :)

Jul 27, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Astromechanics is my favorite topic. I'd love to take over the world and discuss nothing more than gravitational tides and retrograde motion due to inertial displacement from angular momentum, but I have to earn a living. :)
    -

Jul 27, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    I didn't say there was no gravity....
    What did you mean by no gravity and being in orbit then?

So if the Earth spins so fast that you need 9.8m/s/s of centripetal acceleration, there's no gravity left to attract you towards the Earth, you'd be effectively in orbit at ground level.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 03:49 PM
    I meant that gravity would be providing the centripetal acceleration needed for circular motion i.e. orbit. You would be in freefall at ground level.

I see that what I did say was ambiguous, I apologise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lift generated by rotation [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to calculate the lift caused by rotation of a cylinder in a flow of air? We could define the cylinder as being 14ft long, 6ft wide and rotating at 10,000rpm Airflow could be anything above 10mph

Moons rotation [ 14 Answers ]

I have a question about the rotation of the moon. Does the moon acually spin like the earth or does it just stand still, forever illuminating the sky with the same side that we see every night?

Changes in the Earth's atmosphere [ 1 Answers ]

What are some possible effects of climate change resulting from a warmer earth? What are the major harmful effects of ozone depletion on each of the following: Human health Crop yields Forest productivity

Retrograde rotation [ 3 Answers ]

If the solar nebula theory is the correct explanation of how the solar system formed, then what is the likely cause of two planets being highly tilted or rotating “backwards,” and one planet not revolving in the same plane as the rest by more than 10 degrees?

Earth's heating [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, Most of us know that the radioactive stuff in the earth's mantle is responsible for heat production. But what does this has to with cooling of the earth and the planet's thermal budget? Is this where convection heat transfer come in? Also does anyone know a characteristic timescale of...

View more questions Search