Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Upstatemom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 02:27 PM
    Credit Card Debt of a deceased parent
    My Mom recently passed away and has credit card debt. The house was left to me in a trust and my name is on her bank account as a joint holder. What happens to all the debt that she has? Am I liable for it and will they freeze the bank account for the money?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2012, 02:39 PM
    Depending on the structure of the trust the house goes to you outside the estate. Same thing with any accounts that you are listed on as joint ownership. If there is nothing else in the estate, just return any bills to the creditors unopened marked deceased return to sender.
    deville p Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

Jul 2, 2012, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Depending on the structure of the trust the house goes to you outside the estate. Same thing with any accounts that you are listed on as joint ownership. If there is nothing else in the estate, just return any bills to the creditors unopened marked deceased return to sender.
    You need to remove the money from the joint account also.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deville p View Post
    How do you figure? If the account is a survivorship account, it now belongs to OP, not the mom's estate.

Jul 2, 2012, 07:10 PM
    When are you going to learn not to answer questions you know nothing about?

There is no necessity to close the accounts. All that's needed is to show a death certificate to remove the mother's name.
    deville p Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

Jul 2, 2012, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    When are you going to learn not to answer questions you know nothing about?

there is no necessity to close the accounts. All that's needed is to show a death certificate to remove the mother's name.
    Debt does not go away when you die.

If you die and you have bills and money, the money can be taken by a court order. In this case she has a joint account so all of the money in that account can be removed to pay bills. It's a lengthy process and does happen.

I would like to know what world some of y'all live in! Give a full answer next time!

Call the credit card company! Please remove the money so you do not lose it because of bad advice from Scott!

Jul 3, 2012, 03:17 AM
    Debt does not go away when you die.
    This is the only accurate thing you are saying. When one dies, their estate is responsible for their debts up to the value of the estate.

If you die and you have bills and money, the money can be taken by a court order. In this case she has a joint account so all of the money in that account can be removed to pay bills. Its a lengthy process and does happen.
    What is a Joint Bank Account?
    In general, a joint bank account is a bank account belonging fully and equally to two people. Each person can legally deposit or withdraw any amount of money from the account without need for the other's consent. Both names on the bank account "own" the entire account. Most joint bank accounts have a right of survivorship, meaning that when one party dies, the contents of the account automatically are fully owned by the other party.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...-accounts.html

Note it says "fully owned". It is a matter of law that any asset that is owned with right of survivorship passes to the survivor OUTSIDE the estate of the deceased. A creditor can only go after assets that are part of the estate.

at the death of one of the joint tenants, ownership of the remaining property passes to the surviving tenants, or successors, who assert the right of survivorship. This is a powerful legal right because it takes precedence over other claims upon the property. Originally a right at Common Law, it is recognized by statute in all states.
    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...f+Survivorship

Call the credit card company! Please remove the money so you do not lose it because of bad advice from Scott!
    If you have any proof that my advice was bad, then produce it. I've just provided proof that my advice was accurate and yours is the bad advice. You have been warned before about the quality of your advice. Your previous account was placed on moderation because of consistent bad advice and your are heading in the same direction with this one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt of a deceased parent [ 5 Answers ]

My father recently passed away and we have discovered he left a pretty large amount of credit card debt. He had very little in savings and checking. About all he has is property that he owned. We three children are inheriting the property, which is clear of any debt. After paying the funeral...

Credit card debt for a deceased parent [ 4 Answers ]

A credit card company filed a statement and proof of claim to collect a credit card debt against the estate of my deceased (87 year old) mother. What little money she had went right to the funeral home. This credit card account had been closed for about 2 years and she was making $100 a month...

Deceased credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi.. I hope somebody can help me.. I am the executor of my fathers estate (passed away last month).. he had 2 credit cards with 8,000 total debt.. there is no money in his estate.. no house.. he lived in my home for the past year... he had a locked in life income fund and named me the...

Deceased credit card debt [ 6 Answers ]

Is a surviving spouse responsible for deceased spouses credit card debt if their name wasn' t on the account?

Deceased Mother's Credit Card Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Am I liable for my deceased mother's credit card debt? I also had an extra authorized card, but the account was hers.

View more questions Search