Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nate220 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 04:11 PM
    I meant rupture. The current layout has the existing floor drain 30 feet away. For any water from the T&P or in case of a rupture, the water would need to rise at least 1/2" to an inch in order to make it to the floor drain since my basement is not level and "bumpy". I am using the existing fllor drain to drain my new bathroom I am putting in the basement.

I currently have a 1/2" pvc line that takes the condensation from the AC to the existing floor drain. I was planning on tying that into either the new floor drain or the laundry sink drain (it would be above the p trap).

Speedball's solution would still require a floor drain right?

SO basically I need the floor drain. Can I tie that into the 2" standpipe/laundry sink just before it enters the 3" line for the toilet or should it tie into the 3" line directly

Mar 12, 2007, 10:46 AM
    If I went with an indirect drain and condesantion pump I could drain that in the laundry sink drain and eliminate the floor drain, right? The question I would have is if the HW tank did rupture, could that pump keep up with it or would it still flood.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 12, 2007, 11:11 AM
    "Speedball's solution would still require a floor drain right?"
    Wrong! The pump would pump any discharge or leakage up and out of the house. No floor drain is needed. Here's what I suggested.
    A heater pan with 4" edges and a AC condensate pump would be the answer to his problem. If a rupture should occur the pumps float switch would activate, the pump would kick in and the discharge would be pumped up and outside

"The question I would have is if the HW tank did rupture, could that pump keep up with it or would it still flood."

Most boiler welds don't split wide opem they open up a small crack and leak water out. As Doug pointed out a water heater doesn't rupture very often. The heater pan and pump is mealy insurance. Good luck, Tom

Mar 12, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Thanks, I may go with that indirect drain idea. Am I correct in that I can run that to the laundry sink drain. Would have to tie in between the trap and the sink?
    The last thing I want to confirm is whether I should install a backwater check valve right off the main. It sounds like I have to since I am in a basement. Do you have a type/brand that you recommend.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nate220
    Thanks, I may go with that indirect drain idea. Am I correct in that I can run that to the laundry sink drain. Would have to tie in between the trap and the sink?
    The last thing I want to confirm is whether I should install a backwater check valve right off of the main. It sounds like I have to since I am in a basement. Do you have a type/brand that you recommend.
    Check to make sure that you are indeed below the manhole cover of the sanitary sewer before going to the expense and hassle of installing a backwater valve.

Just because it's a basement installation doesn't necessarily mean it's below the level of the manhole cover.

Mar 17, 2007, 01:15 PM
    I am defininely below the manhole cover at the street near my house. My first floor level is pretty much level with the street. The street does go down a large hill approximately 400' feet away from my house. If the sanitary line falls down that way, I would need a blockage right at my house in order for it to back up into my basement. I really don't want to install one, but I want to do this right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check DWV layout [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am plumbing a total rehab. There are two baths on the second floor and a kitchen with a dish washer, sink, and clothes washer. the front bath drain starts with the shower a 32x32. I have to top the joist under it so as soon as possible I put a 90 and a 90 that feed into the trap. The...

Basement Layout [ 3 Answers ]

Can you all please look this over. We are just about ready to go with this project. I have just cut all of the concrete. Dug the hole for the sewage basin and I am now just wanting a review on this before I begin. This has been one long day of digging and cutting.

Design & layout of DWV for laundry group [ 3 Answers ]

I need some advice on the design of DWV for replacing a laundry sink/tub/tray drain with a longer branch to include both the replacement laundry sink, and a new standpipe for the washer & water softener. My plan is to use 1 1/2" Sch 40 PVC to replace the existing drain up to the san-tee on the...

Dwv plumbing layout [ 3 Answers ]

I am building a custom home and I'm wanting to know how many fixtures can share the same vent?

DWV layout help! [ 7 Answers ]

I am doing the rough-in on a bathroom remodel (trying to save some money). It is actually 2 small bathrooms back to back that share a 2x6 common wall - sink, toilet, shower with the mirror image on the other side. Each fixture will share common venting/drainage with its mirror fixture (sink-sink,...

View more questions Search