Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bentonttu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 11:34 AM
    How can my mom gift a car registered in Texas to me in Maryland?
    My mother is gifting me one of my parents cars. The car is registered in my moms name, but I already live in Maryland. How can she transfer the title to my name and allow me to register the car in Maryland? Does she transfer the title to my name in Texas, and then I bring it to Maryland? It seems that only titles already registered in Maryland can be gifted in Maryland.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2012, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bentonttu View Post
    My mother is gifting me one of my parents cars. The car is registered in my moms name, but I already live in Maryland. How can she transfer the title to my name and allow me to register the car in Maryland? Does she transfer the title to my name in Texas, and then I bring it to Maryland? It seems that only titles already registered in Maryland can be gifted in Maryland.
    You are still going to have to pay a tax based on the value of the car in order to title it. No free ride around that... been there before.
    bentonttu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    You are still going to have to pay a tax based on the value of the car in order to title it. No free ride around that....been there before.
    That's fine, but how do I go about switching the title when Maryland says it already has to be titled in Maryland?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 2, 2012, 11:44 AM
    I didn't have to pay a tax (CT) just last month for a gifted car, but it had to be immediate family.
    I don't see why the title has to be in your state? Where did you see that? I would just have her send you the title, signed to you, with 'mother to daughter gift' after her name, and a bill of sale, AND a state gift form (I downloaded one). Take that all to your DMV and also fill out a regular registration (application for title).
    If they make you pay sales tax in MD, so be it. It will be based on the blue book value.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2012, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I didn't have to pay a tax (CT) just last month for a gifted car, but it had to be immediate family.
    I don't see why the title has to be in your state? Where did you see that? I would just have her send you the title, signed to you, with 'mother to daughter gift' after her name, and a bill of sale, AND a state gift form (I downloaded one). Take that all to your DMV and also fill out a regular registration (application for title).
    If they make you pay sales tax in MD, so be it. It will be based on the blue book value.
    Maryland used to... and they are so despirate for revenue I doubt they aren't doing it now...

Only they don't call it a sales tax... they call it a tittling fee. And they convieniently use the Blue book and sales tax rate to determine what it is.

Like I said... been there before, had the identical situation when I first moved there.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2012, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bentonttu View Post
    That's fine, but how do I go about switching the title when Maryland says it already has to be titled in Maryland?
    Your mom signs the Texas title as the seller, gives it to you, You sign it as the buyer and you take it to the MVA (expect to spend the day) they will take that and issue you a new title and MD tags... and you pay the fees.

Depending on how old the car is you might be able to get them to a lower value... but if it's a fairly new car.. expect them to tell you what its worth.

And the answer being you don't get to gift the car... you are going to be paying either the sales tax or the titleing fee... but you aren't going to avoid it. They have a gottcha written into the system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son is a registered sex offender in N. Carolina. Can he visit my home in Texas? [ 1 Answers ]

My son has just finished serving his time in N. Carolina and is on the sex offender registry. While he was in prison, I remarried and moved to Texas. Now that he is out of prison, we would like to visit since we haven't seen each other in so long, but I'm not sure if he can visit my home without...

My son is a registered sex offender in N. Carolina. Can he visit my home in Texas? [ 0 Answers ]

My son has just finished serving his time in N. Carolina and is on the sex offender registry. While he was in prison, I remarried and moved to Texas. Now that he is out of prison, we would like to visit since we haven't seen each other in so long, but I'm not sure if he can visit my home without...

Dealer Titled Car and Registered car to me withou Financing [ 0 Answers ]

I purchased a car about 35 days ago only to find out now that the dealer never submitted any paper work to the bank. I had my own financing when I went in all I had to do was sign the Blank Bank check. The dealer titled the car to me and gave me the Hard license plate and registration before I left...

Cancerous Mom needs to leave husband in Maryland [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Maryland , have Metastatic breast, I can't stand the ranting and raving from an inmature husband. I have no money haven't been working for 15 year. Now I have aortic stenosis, arthitis in shoulders knee and feet. Then last year was told I have metastatic breast cancer. He know already...

View more questions Search