Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CeliDei Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 04:09 PM
    Sparking when cord is plugged in
    I have noticed a small spark when inserting a cord plug into an electrical outlet in the old house we have just purchased. All of the electrical appliances seem yto work OK and we don't get this small spark every time. There are still a few circuits of the old "knob and tube" in the house also. Could this be causing the trouble? Could some one explain to me what "cross or back feeding a circuit is"?
    Thanks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Could also be just because the devise you are plugging in is turned on. For example if an iron is on and plugged in it will probably spark when plugged in.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2012, 04:09 AM
    I agree with MA. If the device you are plugging in is "OFF" and you still get a spark, I would consider replacing the device. I'm surprised your homeowners insurance didn't make you remove all the knob and tube... this seems to happening more frequently.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you have to have the cord still plugged in when using a electric start snowblower [ 1 Answers ]

Do you have to keep the electric cord plugged in when using a electric start snowblowing. Are do you suppose to unplug it when it start

Ground is sparking [ 9 Answers ]

I recently bought a house and I am going around and making a list of renovations and things that need to be done. I was in my basement moving stuff around and I hit the grounding wire from my panel box where it connects to the water meter and it sparked on me. I took a closer look and it looks...

Can I replace a 240v plug/cord with a 110v plug/cord on a KitchenAid Mixer (5KMP50)? [ 5 Answers ]

I have acquired a KitchenAid Heavy Duty 5-quart 10-speed Mixer model #5KPM50, which has a European-style 240v plug. I know there are converters available, but I want to replace the 240v plug with the standard 110v plug used in the USA. Can I replace just the plug or should I replace the plug and...

Dyson sparking [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my dyson is sparking from the motor and it smells, I have tried new brushes but it still sparking.

Wall plug sparking [ 2 Answers ]

Sometimes when I pull out a plug (kitchen appliance) from an electrical socket, a blue spark or flash happens. What does this mean and what should I do?

View more questions Search