Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hesdogg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Starting a painting business
    I have been painting for 6 years now and I was wondering what the steps are that I need to take to make my own business?
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Mar 2, 2007, 10:52 AM
    You will have to get a contractor's license, the requirements to get a license vary from state to state. In California, the following basic stuff is needed:

To qualify to become a licensed contractor you must be 18 years of age or older and
    have the experience and skills necessary to manage the daily activities of a construction
    business, including field supervision. Or, you must be represented by someone
    else with the necessary experience and skills, who serves as your qualifying individual.
    The contractor or other person who will act as the qualifying individual must have had,
    within the ten years immediately before the filing of the application, at least four full
    years of experience at a journey level, or as a foreman, supervisor, or contractor in the
    classification for which he or she is applying. The experience claimed on the application
    must be verifiable and individuals who have knowledge of the experience must
    certify the accuracy of the experience information provided by the applicant (page 3 of
    the application).
    All businesses or individuals who construct or alter any building, highway, road,
    parking facility, railroad, excavation, or other structure in California must be licensed
    by the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) if the total cost (labor and
    materials) of one or more contracts on the project is $500 or more. Contractors,
    including subcontractors, specialty contractors, and persons engaged in the business of
    home improvement (with the exception of joint ventures and projects involving federal
    funding) must be licensed before submitting bids. Licenses may be issued to individuals,
    partnerships, corporations, or joint ventures. The CSLB does not issue licenses to
    Limited Liability Companies (LLC’s).
    Yes. Here are some of the exemptions:
    • Work on a project for which the combined value of labor, materials, and all other
    costs on one or more contracts is less than $500 falls within the minor work exemption.
    Work which is part of a larger or major project, whether undertaken by the
    same or different contractors, may not be divided into amounts less than $500 in an
    attempt to meet the $500 exemption. Until January 1, 2005, unlicensed contractors
    were required to provide a purchaser a written disclosure stating that they are not
    licensed by the CSLB. This disclosure is no longer required;
    • An employee who is paid wages, who does not usually work in an independently
    established business, and who does not have direction or control over the performance
    of work or who does not determine the final results of the work or project;
    • Public personnel working on public projects;
    • Officers of a court acting within the scope of their office;
    • Public utilities working under specified conditions;
    • Oil and gas operations performed by an owner or lessee;
    • Owner-builders who build or improve residential structures on their own property if
    they either do the work themselves or use their own employees (paid in wages) to
    do the work. This exemption is only valid if the structure is not intended to be
    offered for sale within one year of completion;
    • Owner-builders who build or improve residential structures on their own property if
    they contract for the construction with a licensed contractor or contractors. This
    exemption is applicable only if no more than four of such structures are offered for
    sale in any one calendar year;

Good luck! p.s. a bunch of local cities and towns also require a local business license. That just requires an application and $$.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need advice [ 7 Answers ]

I have about $1000-$2000 to start, a partner to help with paint experience but I have never started a business and need to know the basics. Do I need a license? How do I get started in finding customers? What else do I need that I might not be thinking of? If I could get some help, I would...

Starting a painting business [ 1 Answers ]

I'm starting a new painting business. I've been asked to paint a screen-printing warehouse. I'm not sure what to charge for the job. I need to paint heating ducts/pipes, large/long walls with printing equipment as obstacles. I'm not sure how to charge by the job, or if I should charge by the...

Starting Painting business [ 2 Answers ]

I want to start my own painting business and do not know how, or where to start? Boston

How to get a licence to start a painting business [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently worked for a painting contractor for about 4 years and learnt so much about painting and now I want to start my own business. I believe I need to have a licence to start a painting business I really want this wish come true - I have search through the internet all websites but...

Starting up in business [ 2 Answers ]

Hi please could you give me advice as to where I start , in starting my own cleaning firm. Where to go?any grants available etc thank you very much

View more questions Search