Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kena60 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Front porch pillar swaying, how to do a slip joint
    I have a square pillar finished with cedar shakes. It is secured at the top of the pillar. The wooden front porch deck is free from the pillar, so as it rises and falls, the pillar sometimes loses contact with the deck and is then only suspended and sways. I want to build a slip joint, so it looks like a molding around the cedar shakes of the pillar but is really attached to the deck floor. Wondering if this will create a situation for rot down the road. So cedar shakes, cedar 2x6 porch deck floor, and slip joint/collar will be cedar. I thought of making this a 2-step with the bottom being approx 1/2 maybe 3/4 inch away from shakes and the top tighter against the shakes to prevent the pillar from swaying. Am I over thinking this? Will the cedar alone be the rot preventer?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2012, 09:09 AM
    You can buy PVC strips at HD /LOWES.use these to help support the column and put small SS screws through the column and PVC into the deck. Then you can put an ornamental trim piece on. The PVC won't rot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken Slip Joint Nut [ 5 Answers ]

While replacing the bathroom sink in an old house, the slip joint connecting the pipe coming from the wall to the P trap broke. Unfortunately, there is a lip on the end of the pipe coming from the wall, so I can't simply slip a new slip joint nut onto the pipe coming from the wall. I removed the...

Sink Drain slip joint doesn't fit [ 1 Answers ]

So I am finishing the installation of a new vanity and am stuck on the last step. The new Facuet has a 1-1/4" drain pipe, which becuase the new vanity is higher, ends about 3" above the previousily installed PC trap. The drain is also about 1" off center. I went to Home Depot and got a 1-1/2"...

Resurfacing my front porch.what to do? [ 5 Answers ]

Our house was built in 1958. We purchased it 10 years ago. It is a typical ranch home with a concrete front porch/stoop and step. But it also has a dropped down extension of concrete connecting to it that is about 8' long. I sealed the porch with Thompsons when we moved in but it is in dire need...

Front Porch Problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a front porch that is concrete with a aggrate finish. A chunk out of both the corner and front has broken loose. How to I repair without tearing down the entire porch. The chucks are about 4 inches long by 3 inches wide. Thanks in advance

Front porch boards [ 3 Answers ]

We want to replace the boards on our front porch but don't know how to raise the roof to get under the supporting columns. The columns are sitting on little metal supports. The boards are tongue in groove but we don't necessarly want to replace the boards with the same lumber. Can you help?

View more questions Search