Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tigertwo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Small Room HVAC
    What is the best way to heat and air condition a small (10 x 10) room above my garage. It is a second floor laundry room which I constructed in dead spaceabove the garage and family room. It would be very hard to install duct work from the main FHA system. I am hoping to heat and air condition it separately. What are your thoughts?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 02:53 PM
    There are several brands of small uni-vent systems that vent through the wall and provide both heat and a/c. Don't even think of trying to connect to you existing HVAC. This room will be cold in the winter and hot in the summer if you go that direction. It need to be a totally separate system. Zoning would not be that effective either. Unfortunately I can't find my list of these systems but I will continue to look. There are several HVAC guy on this post each day and I'm sure they'll help.
    Please rate my answer so I'll know if I helped you. Good luck.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 03:02 PM
    There are air conditioning units sold that vent out a window and will service l000 sq. ft. That may be an answer for that problem.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Mitsubishi Mr Slim heat pump is a very nice unit, quite pricey though. There are many through the wall units like you see in hotels and retirement communities, and many are heat pumps, gas or electric.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Okay... heat pump. Can't you get the small l000 sq. ft. units from sears as we do here? They are vented in a window. They are $150. Cdn. plus taxes. Great for seniors with small incomes and retirement homes.

Mar 1, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Tickle, the Sears unit does not heat and cool for $150. I believe what you picture isn't anything more than a window air conditioner. Tigertwo want heat too. Northernheat named the unit I was thinking about, Mitsubishi.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Check out the Samsung mini split ductless. Inside part hangs on the wall, make a small 2 inch hole in the wall to get freon lines and condensate lines out. Best of all SEER is 20.
    tigertwo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    There are several brands of small uni-vent systems that vent through the wall and provide both heat and a/c. Don't even think of trying to connect to you existing HVAC. This room will be cold in the winter and hot in the summer if you go that direction. It need to be a totally separate system. Zoning would not be that effective either. Unfortunately I can't find my list of these systems but I will continue to look. There are several HVAC guy on this post each day and I'm sure they'll help.
    Please rate my answer so I'll know if I helped you. Good luck.
    Thanks for the help. I think I was on the rignt track. Can I vent a through the wall unit into dead space? Or, do I have to vent the unit to the outside of the house?

Mar 2, 2007, 08:14 AM
    If you are using NG or propane you need to vent outside with an appropriate stainless steel double wall pipe. One that is rated for this application. They are not cheap, about $275 for a kit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HVAC Vent Noise [ 5 Answers ]

I recently had my HVAC system replaced and now I am having a problem with the noise being generated by the room vents. It is probably because this newer system (the previous was >30yo) has a stronger fan motor and is forcing the air through the vents faster. It is really annoying and wakes us in...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

HVAC Transformer? Please help! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, while changing my old thermostat to a new one I Didn't realize I had the wrong circuit breaker tripped In my home. Turns out that the new thermostat is not Compatible to the wiring in my house(I think) and After hook up there was no power to the thermostat. I Put the old one back on with...

View more questions Search