Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Crying123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 08:52 PM
    Why do they arrest Domestic Violence victim?
    We had a fight. Me and my husband, I called the cop. They saw both of us have the marks and arrest us. Do the fingerprint, stay in jail one day. Both want to dismiss the case. (Thru D.A.) We are released the next day. But they put no-contact-Order of protection(me vs. my husband) for half year.

I am the victim of domestic violence for the past four years, my husband verbally and physically abuse me plus he had child abuse record.
    The cop did not want to see any record, simply see the mark on my husband which scratched by self-defensing. I had scratched mark on my face by my husband. My two kids did not see what really happened, but tell the cop we scratch each other as witness for my husband to accuse me.

Question1: How can they arrest victim of domestic violence?
    Question2: Will I have the criminal record because of this?
    Question3: I got the paper to appear for court . What shall I prepare? Pay fine/or get conviction? Or release the case?
    Question4: I apply for teaching job, Will this be affected? I have received the letter from Dept of Ed knowing my arrested record...

This is totally wrong, I am the victim and call 911... to protect me, instead of that, I got punished to have all these misery... Please advise...

Thanks! Crying 123
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2012, 09:02 PM
    Question1: How can they arrest victim of domestic violence?
    The police officer has no idea who the victim is, if both people have marks and signs of the other hurting them, either could be the victim.

Question2: Will I have the criminal record because of this?
    If you are found guilty you will have a criminal record.

Question3: I got the paper to appear for court . What shall I prepare? Pay fine/or get conviction? Or release the case?
    You should have an attorney. This can be a serious charge that can effect your life

Question4: I apply for teaching job, Will this be affected? I have received the letter from Dept of Ed knowing my arrested record...
    Yes it can,

Many men are abused, and many wives have been known to call the police with fake calls and fake the abuse.

The officer who comes to the house is often by his rules required to arrest one or both depending upon what they see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

False arrest domestic violence [ 4 Answers ]

My friend was arrested in Illinois for domestic battery. How can he explain that he was falsly arrested? After spending the night at a family members house, he had to take her home because she was stealing liqour and was still getting drunk as well as popping perscription meds. They were arguing...

Can a homewoner association evict a tenat if they are a victim of domestic violence [ 11 Answers ]

I have been living at my residence for 3 years. In July 09 I was a victim of domestic violence and I called the police to file a report. The next day I went and filed an injuction against my ex-boyfriend who does not reside at residence. The Board called my owner and questioned her about...

Domestic Violence [ 13 Answers ]

The other night me and my boyfriend had a fight. I pushed him with not even that much force, we verbally fought for a few min and the police showed up. When I admitted to pushing him, he told them I didn't. They arrested me and brought me to jail.. when I was released I signed the agree not see...

As a victim of past domestic abuse, will counseling aide me? [ 10 Answers ]

I left an abusive (emotionally, mentally, and physically) relationship in July. Upon leaving, there were many dramatic events that followed which, from what I've researched, are to be expected from the abuser. Since then, I've been completely happy with my life. It was like my world was back...

Domestic Violence - No arrest [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and I got an argument this Saturday night. We did some push-and-shoves during the argument. My wife wanted to give me a warning and called 911 in the Sunday morning. The police came and asked both of us the questions. No photo was taken and we did not sign any documents. Simply, the police...

View more questions Search