Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Des0ray Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
    Moving out of Texas with my son
    Im am going to move back with my family to Michigan for a bit, but I am going to take my son with me.. His father and I never went to court for our custody issues. We just have a verbal agreement on when he sees our son.. Usually it's every weekend. My question is I am moving from Texas to Michigan and I want to make sure that I am not going to get in any legal trouble if I just packed my stuff up and leave.. I'm not going to tell his father until I'm already named for fear that he might try to keep our son so I can't move.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2012, 09:35 AM
    Legally you can move, legally he can file for a emergency hearing and ask for custody and get a court order to force you to return your child to the state.

Since he has been having a contact and visit with him I fully believe the court will force the child's return if the father will go to court shortly after you move out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2012, 09:44 AM
    I agree with Chuck. I see a few scenarios here.

1) He does nothing and lets you move
    2) He files for formalization of the visitation and a court order for you to return the child to TX.
    3) He files for full physical custody.

If he does either 2 or 3, the court is likely to issue an order that you return to TX at leaast for a hearing. If you do not do so, a default judgment will be entered. And the judgment will likely be that he gets full physical custody. So then, what he can do is travel to MI with the court order, pick up your son and take him back to TX.
    Des0ray Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I agree with Chuck. I see a few scenarios here.

1) He does nothing and lets you move
    2) He files for formalization of the visitation and a court order for you to return the child to TX.
    3) He files for full physical custody.

If he does either 2 or 3, the court is likely to issue an order that you return to TX at leaast for a hearing. If you do not do so, a default judgment will be entered. And the judgment will likely be that he gets full physical custody. So then, what he can do is travel to MI with the court order, pick up your son and take him back to TX.
    What if I file for full custody once I get to Michigan?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2012, 10:07 AM
    You have to wait until you establish residency. That usually takes 6 months. If he files in TX before then, then TX will have jurisdiction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
    Agree, you can not file as soon as you get there, so he will have time to file in his state.
    So if he does file in his state, you will have to return there every time there is a hearing, and what often happens, a date is set, and you travel to find they get it continued.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 28, 2012, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You have to wait until you establish residency. That usually takes 6 months. If he files in TX before then, then TX will have jurisdiction.
    Actually, until Michigan becomes the chld's "home state", which would be six months (unless the child is less than 6 months).

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    So if he does file in his state, you will have to return there every time there is a hearing, and what often happens, a date is set, and you travel to find they get it continued.
    You can have an attorney attend a hearing for you. And if your participation is necessary frequently you can arrange to attend by telephone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving my son out of Texas [ 9 Answers ]

My son will be 2 years old this month. His father and I were never married. We went to a mediation at the district attorneys office to establish visitation and child support. I have sole custody of my son and he has visitation if hrs that he rarely uses (maybe once a month) he hardly asks about his...

Moving out of state with child in Texas [ 2 Answers ]

In Texas, what is the penalty if the wife moves out of state with the children with out telling the husband?

Moving out of Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been in Texas 12 yrs now and moved here with my then husband due to his job. We were divorced shortly after moving here. I have primary custody of our children who are now 13 and 15 yrs old. I've stayed in Texas so the children can remain close to their father but I have been with...

View more questions Search