Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    19grew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 05:43 AM
    Pto oil seal
    I recently had my scotts lawn tractor serviced and they had changed the following: Pto oil seal, oil pump "o" ring drive belt, deck belt. When I got it back. I was mowing my lawn, and noticed an oil drip from under the oil filter. I brought it back to the repair shop, and was told after 1 1/2 weeks, that the oil pan needed a gasket. And it would be another 450.00 to repair. Is the repair shop trying to pull something over me? I felt that they should be responsible for this extra problem
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
    Hi,
    They should be partially responsible for not finding that problem the first time round. The price quote is also high by about $200, in my opinion. I have for years removed the deck and double stack pulley, disconnected the electrical, removed the air filter, removed the four engine bolts and flipped the engine over on the machine's frame. Average of ten bolts secure the sump pan, which are removed and sump tapped free. Clean the old gasket off and the surfaces, then apply the new gasket. The sump is one of the three places I torque "religiously" so that should be done. Then it is a matter of reversing the process to reassemble. Average labor time should be between 2 and 3 hours and parts about $2.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change the pto oil seal on a 18.5 hp briggs and stratton engine [ 1 Answers ]

How to change a pto oil seal on a 18.5 hp briggs & stratton

Engine oil mixed with coolant after oil seal ring failure what next? [ 0 Answers ]

OK MY 97 jetta was spewing oil from above the filter cranked the car and the oil light came on. Checked the oil level and discovered antifreeze mixed in the oil. Is it a blown head or possible that d/t oil cooler o-ring failure that it leaked into the engine? Should I flush out oil and change...

Synthetic Blend oil and new main/cam seal conflict? [ 2 Answers ]

I just had the rear main oil seal replaced (3rd time) as well as the front cam seal(2nd time). On my 1996 Mercury Villager 3.0 V6 128K I had all kinds of problems with this shop and was glad just to get it home and when I did I had my low oil pressure light on which I never had before, big...

Change differential oil seal [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove and replace the transaxle oil seal on my 1999 sears 22hp tractor

Removing Oil Seal [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Murray 18.5HP mower which is leaking oil badly onto the stack pulley. I am "assuming" this is due to a bad oil seal on the PTO side. I have bought the new seal and I am ready to put it on and I am wondering what is the best way to go about it. I have taken the deck off already. Is the...

View more questions Search