Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xkelseyx09 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2012, 10:24 PM
    Thyroid Madness!
    Thyroid issues for 2 years know and finally found a doctor that didn't look at me like I was crazy. So I've just been diagnosed with Autoimmune Thyroiditis and or Hashimoto's Disease, the problem is my levels are completely normal but of course due to the disease I have high Antibodies, but on top of that I have a "cold" good size Nodule first my doctor wanted to give me some kind of medication to shrink it, that was yesterday forgive me I've forgotten the name, but today he said (this is a general practice doctor by the way he is very good though) that he wants to refer me to a ear nose and throat doctor and either fine needle aspiration it or have it surgically taken out, then start me on hormone replacement to replace the piece they have to take out my question is how is this going to help me from forming another and help the disease I'm just very confused can someone please clear it up for me? I also have all symptoms of Hypo.
    tootaloo699 Posts: 39, Reputation: -2

Jun 27, 2012, 10:49 PM
    Hopefully what I pasted below will help you to understand what is going on, I have had a hypo thyroid since 1992. The doctor is steering you in the right way to deal with the issue. Now please let me tell you something, when they putl you on the medication

What is the treatment of Hashimoto's thyroiditis?

There is no cure for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. There is no way to know how long the autoimmune process and inflammation will continue. In the vast majority of patients, hypothyroidism results from the inflammatory process.

Thyroid hormone medication can replace the hormones the thyroid made before the inflammation started. There are two major thyroid hormones made by a healthy gland (T3 and T4). Replacing one or both of these hormones can alleviate the symptoms caused by the absolute or relative lack of hormones as a consequence of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Without medication, there is very little chance the thyroid would be able to maintain hormone levels within the normal range, and symptoms and signs of hypothyroidism would occur or worsen.

Jun 27, 2012, 10:52 PM
    Sorry, let me continue. When they put you on the medication you must take it the same time everyday on a empty stomach. If you do not take the meds properly you will have more an worse conditions. This is a life threaten situation, I got my rear chewed out by my doctor fir stopping the meds

Jun 27, 2012, 10:57 PM
    Sorry my tablet it doing that. What I am trying to help you avoid are the mistakes I made when I couldn't afford to have my prescrition filled. Read you more on the gland itself an what it does. I can tell you that you can feel like your have a nervous breakdown if you don't take the meds. Sorry for 3 parter, hope this helps somewhat. You will be on this medication for life unless God heals you. God Bless

Jun 27, 2012, 11:47 PM
    Thank you I was just making sure this was the right Avenue he is a excellent doctor and I trust him I just didn't want my neck to get hacked on without knowing about another option. I pray it's not cancerous I'm 21 years old and having all this so young is terrible, but my father has hypo and was diagnosed when he was 21 so its possible he has the same thing but was never diagnosed due to doctors not knowing very much about it, I have to say I'm scared because he really wants to remove the nodule all together but I will find what the next plan of action is after my nuclear scan and I watched dad take his all my life so I know you have to take your meds and how dangerous it is dad also told me until they get your level right it kind of messes with you at first but thank you for clearing that up and God Bless you also

Jun 27, 2012, 11:54 PM
    I am glad you feel I helped you, if you want to get a second opinion that's not a bad thing at all, it will just cost more money an time. That is your choice, I wish for you to have a speedy recover!! :)))

Jun 28, 2012, 07:12 AM
    Well I would but he is my second opinion lol, my first opinion told me nothing was wrong yet I had a goiter sticking out of my neck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tootaloo699 View Post
    Hopefully what I pasted below will help you to understand what is going on, I have had a hypo thyroid since 1992. The doctor is steering you in the right way to deal with the issue. Now please let me tell you something, when they putl you on the medication

What is the treatment of Hashimoto's thyroiditis?

There is no cure for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. There is no way to know how long the autoimmune process and inflammation will continue. In the vast majority of patients, hypothyroidism results from the inflammatory process.

Thyroid hormone medication can replace the hormones the thyroid made before the inflammation started. There are two major thyroid hormones made by a healthy gland (T3 and T4). Replacing one or both of these hormones can alleviate the symptoms caused by the absolute or relative lack of hormones as a consequence of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Without medication, there is very little chance the thyroid would be able to maintain hormone levels within the normal range, and symptoms and signs of hypothyroidism would occur or worsen.

Unless you wrote this (which I doubt) please post your source. Otherwise this is plagerism.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hyper thyroid will I gain my weight back once the thyroid medicine regulates [ 0 Answers ]

I have been losing weight for about 7months went to my dr because I was having hot flashes, tired all the time, weight loss achy muscles hair shedding . She did all the test for the thyroid which the results came back I had hyperthyroid she put me on this medicine called methimazole 10mg twice...

Mobile madness [ 3 Answers ]

Well. I need some expert advise... coz I want this phone called sidekick lx... and I want 2 know if it will work here in australia or did it actually realeased here in australia. I want it badly. anyone please help me.. any suggestions.. I really want that style of phone. with a qwerty...

Eyebrow Madness! [ 4 Answers ]

Ok I have a bit of a problem, I was trying to do my own eyebrows which I have now realized was a BIG mistake.. :( And I accidentally went to far, I have this razor machine thing that does your eyebrows for you and my hand slipped and it shaved off the middle of my eyebrow, and now the problem is...

Baby madness [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I know this is really ludacris but I am a 16year old girl. I have recently fell madly in love with a 17 year old boy. However we went out before but now want to take thing slower but I'm not sure if he really wants me anymore. Well his friends tell me he still likes me but doesn't want to...

View more questions Search