Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Quimbly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2004, 11:06 PM
    Compressibility of Water
    Hi,
    I was looking for some figures on the compressibility of water, and this is what I discovered: 0.46 GPa-1, c.f. CCl4 0.92 GPa-1, at 20°C.

The problem is, I don't know what it means.

GPa is a GigaPascall (1,000,000,000 Pascals), right? So, does this mean that water compresses by a factor of 0.46 under a pressure of 1 GPa?

What about all the stuff after that?

c.f. And what's this about Carbon Tetrachloride and the other number (0.92)?

Can someone please help me understand this?

Thanks in advance...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2004, 05:22 AM
    Re: Compressibility of Water
    Liquids are close to incompressible. I think the figures you have for water are right. I looked in an older handbook that used cgs units rather than SI. I am not sure why your source looks like it went on to give figures for carbon tetrachloride. In most work, the compression of liquids may be neglected.
    Quimbly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2004, 09:15 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this is also a problem I've discovered; In almost every source I've read on the Internet, they say that liquids are next to incompressibile.  Well, the whole point is that I am interested in HOW MUCH liquids do compress under extreme pressures.

In regards to my question, am I right in assuming that 0.46 GPa-1 means that water will compress by a volumetric factor of 0.46 under 1 GPa of pressure?

If you think the value is correct, can you verify this?  Do you have a link to some site where this is documented?  

Also, I wouldn't think that compression would be a linear function of pressure.  Is it?  If not, does anyone have a graph that shows water's (or other liquid's) volume as a function of pressure?

Thanks again!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2004, 02:55 PM
    Go to any library and ask for the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. It is the big green one. Look up compressibility. Most libraries will have one enough newer than mine to use SI units.

At those pressures, you also need to allow for the streching of the container.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

View more questions Search