Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tweeetypooh Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Change of surname of my child
    I have a daughter and I didn't married her father. But I had my baby's surname after her father's. Now. Her father and I broke up because our relationship isn't really working. I would just like to ask the process of what do I need to do to change my baby's name after mine. What are the laws and what are the process? Does it require a proper age for my daughter before she could have her name changed? Thsank you very much.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 1, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Check with your local Family Court. But you don't have to do anything legally. You can use any name that you want as long as its not intended to defraud. So when you register her for school just tell them she will be going by your surname.
    tweeetypooh Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2007, 09:44 PM
    But wouldn't it be a start of confusion? I mean the supporting documents like her birth certificate wouldn't match. Thanks

Mar 2, 2007, 06:50 AM
    It might, but its really not that big a deal to make a notation in a child's record. Definitely less work than legally changing the name.
    needhelpinks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 05:14 PM
    My fiancé just went through this with his ex-wife. She wanted to get the children's name changed, and had to go to court to do so. Petition for name change, show a good reason why she wanted the name change, inform the father on her intentions, put it in the newspaper. It is not legal to just use whatever name you want. Like you said the birth certificate does not match. What is on the birth certificate is the real name. Yes, of course you could just use whatever name you want, but how do you think you child will feel when they get older and find out their real name is something different. I Also know somebody this happened to, and she was very hurt by her parents and started going by her real name. And by the way we won the case. The children's name is still the father's last name.

Mar 19, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by needhelpinks
    It is not legal to just use whatever name you want. .
    This is not true. As I said one can use any name they want as long as its not intended to defraud.

Quote Originally Posted by needhelpinks
    Like you said the birth certificate does not match. What is on the birth certificate is the real name. Yes, of course you could just use whatever name you want, but how do you think you child will feel when they get older and find out their real name is something different.
    The simple answer is to explain it to the child as soon as they are old enough to understand.
    mkrn04116 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeetypooh
    i have a daughter and i didn't married her father. but i had my baby's surname after her father's. now. her father and i broke up because our relationship isn't really working. i would just like to ask the process of what do i need to do to change my baby's name after mine. what are the laws and what are the process? does it require a proper age for my daughter before she could have her name changed? thsank you very much.
    If the babies fathers name is listed as the father on the birth certificate, then the father has to sign that its OK for you to change your daughters name... even if your not together and the father doesn't pay a penny of child support.. I know its not fair, but that's the law. I know because I named my babies last name after me because I wasn't with the babies father and he didn't sign the birth certificate) but if he files a paternity test then just because he is the father he can have my child's name changed to his... and he doesn't support the baby at all. I couldn't believe this when a lawyer informed me of this ridiculous law. Anyway, good luck with everything and take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Changing my son's surname [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the UK. Ten years ago I met and had a relationship with someone by whom I became pregnant. I had a son. The father couldn't be bothered to even turn up for the birth and wanted me to go partying with him the next day as I lay recovering from a Caesarian. I should have realised...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Child tax credit :child on H-4 came August 2006 , [ 1 Answers ]

Hi atlanta tax guru I am on h-1 ( entered in June 2006) wife & son entered ( on h-4) August 2006 I am filing as resident alien as I passed test, Wife & son entered 19th August 2006 , are they pass test after 6 months Is it valid to call them resident alien after 19 feb 2007 ? And will...

Changing a Child's surname [ 5 Answers ]

I am a single mother and have been since my son was 6 weeks old. I was unmarried to his father and things went from good to bad over night. To make a long story short, his father has supervised visitation due to some abuse that had happened. Thank god I was smart and got the baby medical...

View more questions Search