Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kierstenbenson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 03:53 PM
    I need help replacing a shower arm how far back into the wall does the shower arm go
    I was going to replace my shower head when I realized there is no male end of the shower arm connecting to the showerhead instead there is a ball inside the showerhead that connects to the shower arm. There is no way to disconnect that from it. I wanted to try to replace the shower arm with a new shower arm that had male ends on both sides. I used vice grips and channel locks and also put WD-40 and gave it all my muscle... is there anyway that the shower arm is completely connected to the pipes behind the wall and the only way to get the shower arm out is by replacing the pipes or have shower arms always been made with a male end that connets behind the wall? Also I pulled and pulled on the shower arm a good half inch came out of the wall but I still didn't see any threads.

Jun 26, 2012, 03:58 PM
    here is an image of the shower head it looks like it can disconnect but that is a line on it... Please help!

Jun 26, 2012, 04:03 PM
    http://pinterest.com/pin/42150946482955317/
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 26, 2012, 06:10 PM
    Shower arm screws into an elbow inside the wall. Never seen anything else. Put a pipe wrench on the shower arm close to the wall and turn counter clockwise.
    When installing new arm, coat threads with good coating of pipe joint compound. Some people prefer Teflon tape but I've had better luck with pipe joint compound. Screw arm into elbow by hand. Then insert a long screw driver inside the other end of the shower arm and use it as a handle in a circular motion to further tighten the arm.
    Of course the arm must point downward so make your best guess as to whether you can make another full turn. If the arm ends pointing anywhere other than down, remove it completely, recoat the threads and screw it in again and don't try to tighten it quite as much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water comes out of shower valve but not shower arm... help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I just installed the upgrade kit to convert my Delta Monitor 1500 to a Monitor 1700 and after assembling everything I am getting zero water out of the shower. When I turned the water on when I was finished there was very weak pressure and then it stopped completely. When I remove the...

Long shower arm [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to put a 10" or 12" shower arm on a shower I built. The arm is secured by a drop eared ell that is screwed to 2x4 blocking. The arm will hold a standard shower head. Is this okay or do the longer arms need a special attachment behind the wall?

Replacing a shower arm [ 0 Answers ]

I want to take my old shower arm out but don't know how. After taking it out I want to put a new one in. Will this be complicated, will I need a plumber or is this something I can Install on my own, One person??

Old shower arm [ 5 Answers ]

I'm having a difficult time taking off an old ball type end shower arm. I tried twisting it off with a wrench and I'm afraid that I'm going to break the pipe off the wall. Is there a way to check that the this old ball type end shower arm is screwed in or if the shower arm attached or is there a...

View more questions Search