Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1970abrice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
    Flea collars toxic to puppies
    I put a flea collar on a 7 week old lab puppy. Has been on for a week and dog is getting listless. Read that it is toxic so I took it off. What can I do to get her feeling better.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 26, 2012, 01:14 PM
    Does the puppy have a lot of fleas? This might also be why it is listless.
    1970abrice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Does the puppy have a lot of fleas? This might also be why it is listless.
    She has no fleas
    We live on two acres but she prefers airconditioning to the hot Florida sun.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 26, 2012, 01:29 PM
    Why did you put a flea collar on her if she doesn't have fleas? Flea collars are toxic, poisonous.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 26, 2012, 04:42 PM
    There is the chance that is also unrelated to the flea collar at such a young age it would be best to have him checked by the vet. Sick puppies will go downhill pretty quickly.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 26, 2012, 05:20 PM
    Flea collars for a young puppy are toxic, but I agree with Lady Sam, a vet check is definitely in order.

But, please, do not do a flea treatment on your puppy until it is old enough. At 7 weeks, he's far from old enough. In fact, at that age the only recommended flea treatment would be a warm bath with dish soap, and that's it. No meds, no collars, because they can be deadly at that age. In fact, I wouldn't recommend a flea collar for any age of dog.
    tootaloo699 Posts: 39, Reputation: -2

Jun 27, 2012, 06:16 AM
    Flea collars are toxic? Yes they are an you are learning which is great. As for your puppy, take him to the vet for a checkup to make sure he or she is in good health. I highly suggest using an all natural product called Diatomaceous Earth (food grade only) or it can an will kill the animal.
    On the web there is a company called PermaGuard that does sell it. I have no affilation with any of the companies I mention.
    D.E. for short has so many wonderful uses I suggest you research it, you will be amazed at the variety of the things it does. It kills fleas, ticks, black widows, brown recluse spiders, breaks down fecal matter, polishes silver, strengths nails, cleans colons in humans an animals, is a natural dewormer for dogs. There is so much more, hope you enjoy using it. So go all natural you an your dog should be happier for it. Hope this helps!! God Bless
    tootaloo699 Posts: 39, Reputation: -2

Jun 27, 2012, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tootaloo699 View Post
    Flea collars are toxic? Yes they are an you are learning which is great. As for your puppy, take him to the vet for a checkup to make sure he or she is in good health. I highly suggest using an all natural product called Diatomaceous Earth (food grade only) or it can an will kill the animal.
    On the web there is a company called PermaGuard that does sell it. I have no affilation with any of the companies I mention.
    D.E. for short has so many wonderful uses I suggest you research it, you will be amazed at the variety of the things it does. It kills fleas, ticks, black widows, brown recluse spiders, breaks down fecal matter, polishes silver, strengths nails, cleans colons in humans an animals, is a natural dewormer for dogs. There is so much more, hope you enjoy using it. So go all natural you an your dog should be happier for it. Hope this helps!!! God Bless
    Here is some more info that may get you started towards helping you to learn about 2 herbs that will deworm an remove the toxins left behind by the flea collar. If you decide to do this go to your local health food store an ask them for advice. Tell them you want it for your dog not you to find out about dosage. If they do not know or refuse to help you, look on the web for more than one site because opinions do vary. Here is the information below. Some herbs also can have side efforts so research an ask your vet. Some vets say its crap, others are more knowledgeable. Read an learn!

THE PARASITE DESTROYERS BLACK WALNUT– The dried and ground green hull of the Black Walnut contains tannin which is an organic iodine as well as juglandin, juglone and juglandic acids. It has been used for centuries to expel various types of worms including parasites that cause skin irritations – such as ringworm. It oxygenates the blood, which also helps to kill parasites. Black Walnut is very effective against tapeworms, pinworms, candida albicans (yeast infections) and malaria. It is also effective in reducing sugar levels, and helping the body rid itself of toxins.

WORMWOOD–The MOST POWERFUL of the parasite killing herb kingdom. It is most effective against roundworms, hookworms, whipworms and pinworms. Wormwood contains the toxins thujone and isothujone which are the components that kill parasites. Wormwood also contains santonin which is known as a remedy for parasitic diseases. It is the second most bitter herb known to man and has been proven as a POWERFUL remedy for malaria. Wormwood also contains sesquiterpene lactones, which work similar to peroxide by weakening the parasites membranes therefore killing them. Wormwood also helps produce bile, which in turn helps the liver and gallbladder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flea prevention and puppies [ 2 Answers ]

We are about to get an 8 week old puppy from a family member. We live in the country with a fenced in backyard, but stray dogs and wild bunnies often come up to the fence or in the yard. They gave our neighbor's (2 acres away) older dogs fleas once. We want to spray a flea and tick spray in...

Flea Bath for puppies [ 2 Answers ]

To Whom It May Concern: My puppies are only 4 weeks old and I am noticing that they have fleas like a lot is it okay for me to give them a flea bath and if not what can I do to get rid of the fleas. Please help me!! Thank You Tabatha...

Non-Toxic Flea repellent [ 13 Answers ]

Does anyone use a natural flea repellent for their dog? Does it work? How often do you use it?

My puppies have flea [ 2 Answers ]

My puppies were born on the 17th of sept and have fleas really bad. I want to know when I can use a flea shampoo on them.

Puppies has flea [ 1 Answers ]

My new born puppies (1 week old) already has a few fleas on them. They caught if from the mom when she was running outside. What should I can do? I don't think its good to bathe them yet. Should I use flea ponder? What do you recommend. I am very scared, I don't know what to do... I need help.

View more questions Search