Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinkerbell77 Posts: 96, Reputation: 6

Feb 28, 2007, 03:21 PM
    If someone asks for vacation, can the company deny the employee to use it on the day they request?
    Example: I will be out for maternity leave and before returning would like to use vacation time to extend the time I am home. Can the employeer say that they can't give out the vacation or let me take it at that time?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell77
    Just a question beyond this. If someone asks for vacation, can the company deny the employee to use it on the day they request?
    Example: I will be out for maternity leave and before returning would like to use vacation time to extend the time I am home. Can the employeer say that they can't give out the vacation or let me take it at that time?
    If other employees have previously requested the time and itwill leave the company shorthanded, they can refuse a vacation request. This should be spelled out in the vacation policy.

P.S. its nota good idea to piggyback on someone else's thread. That's why I requested this be moved to its own thread.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Again this is a company policey issue, and what industry you work at. For example as a police officer we may have to work 3 shifts straight if we were short handed, or even if you called in sick you could be ordered to report to work anyway.

And vacation could be cancelled at a last minute.

Even my current company for example will not allow vacatoins on the last week of a month ( their busy sell days) And they will deny vacation at times.

Now if your company allows vacation to be used for the Family and medical leave ( federal program) they can not deny you time off for approved reasons.

Also company past practice could require them to do things also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Peace and Love for the Holiday [ 4 Answers ]

Just want everyone one the forum to have a safe and happy Holiday! A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :)

I found my holiday spririt... [ 4 Answers ]

I've noticed latley, or better yet, the last couple of years, that the holiday mood for me has begun to wear off. Others that I know have begun to have this same problem. As Im sure each of us have our own reasons for not liking Christmas, Im pleased to say, that I have finally found my holiday...

Holiday dinners [ 8 Answers ]

I have relatives who frequently come to Thanksgiving + Xmas dinners each year. The questions is: Is it good manners or etiquette to bring (as an invited guest) your own tupperware containers to a dinner with the "assumption" that you will be filling them up and taking them back to your home to...

View more questions Search