Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellamitchell12 Posts: 10, Reputation: -3

Jun 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
    Termination of legal rights
    I was wondering, I am currently in custody battle with a man who is not my husband what are my rights as far as bypassing him and getting his rights terminated so my husband can adopt? Is there a way around this? Legitimation of my daughter has already been filed for and DNA has been established.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2012, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bellamitchell12 View Post
    I was wondering, I am currently in custody battle with a man who is not my husband what are my rights as far as bypassing him and getting his rights terminated so my husband can adopt? Is there a way around this? Legitimation of my daughter has already been filed for and DNA has been established.
    Which is the Biological father... you can't force him to give up his parental rights any more than he can force you to give up yours.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2012, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Which is the Biological father....you can't force him to give up his parental rights any more than he can force you to give up yours.

Right - in this circumstance the only way to adopt is for the bio father to consent.
    bellamitchell12 Posts: 10, Reputation: -3

Jun 27, 2012, 08:17 AM
    Well no ! I was wondering if there was any way around it. By the way this is ga law.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2012, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bellamitchell12 View Post
    well no ! i was wondering if there was any way around it. btw this is ga law.
    Which answer are you addressing? "Well, no."

No, there's no way around getting the birth father's consent under these circumstances in Georgia.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 09:20 AM
    If YOU could terminate the birthather's rights without HIS consent, then HE could terminate YOUR rights without YOUR consent.

You need either his consent to the adoption or you need to prove that he is a danger to the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the legal rights of an adopted donor child, once he/she reaches legal age? [ 4 Answers ]

Does the child have a right to know the donor-father? If the adopted family (legal family) underwent a divorce, what child-support rights do the child have pertaining to the legal father? Especially once legal age (21) is reached? Can the child/teen take his biological father's last name?

Termination of mother's rights after grandparents has legal custody [ 3 Answers ]

As a grandparent who has legal custody of my 5 year old grandson; I would like to terminate the mother's rights to him. She hasn't had any contact with him for 3 years ( by her choice, not ours.) I need to know if I have grounds to do this. She give him up willingly and has never paid any child...

Is there legal visitation rights for nonbiological or legal parents [ 5 Answers ]

I am from South Dakota and I had met a man that had full legal custody of his infant son. The biological mother very rare saw the child and was not involved in his life. I started dating this man when the child was 8 months old and we were engaged by the time he was 11 months old. The child's...

Salary termination w/pay dock is it legal [ 4 Answers ]

My names Jacob and my question is. I work 80+ hrs a week that I agreed to in the beginning, with the assurance that more people would be hired as the buis grew. But today I slept in and misses work. I wrote a text message to my boss not my employer stating how I felt about the long hours and that...

Grandparents rights after termination of rights over parents [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother of two children and my mother relinquished her rights of me and my sister when I was 12. Now here is my question... my mother wants to go for grandparents vistitaion for my children and my sisters and she is willing to got to court for it. I was told by my CPS worker that she...

View more questions Search