Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tatla Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Jun 25, 2012, 11:48 PM
    What is the best way to read Shakespeare?
    I have heard much about Shakespeare but when I try to read his works, I find it tough to understand what he writes. Tell me where to start. I shall feel grateful. Better if I am suggested some ways and also his easiest book
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 26, 2012, 12:11 AM
    I would read Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, The Merchant of Venice, A Midsummer's Night Dream, King Lear, or Macbeth.
    I would watch a movie version of any of them, and buy Cliff Notes to understand the language.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2012, 06:05 AM
    Are you one of Kahani Punjab's students? You both call people "dear" and have very similar writing styles, including the phrase "medico/Doctor" - seems odd to me.

Jul 3, 2012, 12:39 AM
    If she/he is from India, especially from Punjab, there are chances, as there are people who write their surnames of pseudonyms. Moreover, both of us can have same teachers, or it is just Punjabi way of writing English. Still, I do not know anywhere using the word 'dear or medico' but I request u to tell me if medico does not mean doctor? Can't we call some unknown person by 'dear'? And, what about my question?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 3, 2012, 01:55 AM
    Was my response at all helpful?
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2012, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatla View Post
    If she/he is from India, especially from Punjab, there are chances, as there are people who write their surnames of pseudonyms. Moreover, both of us can have same teachers, or it is just Punjabi way of writing English. Still, I do not know anywhere using the word 'dear or medico' but I request u to tell me if medico does not mean doctor? Can't we call some unknown person by 'dear'? And, what about my question?

Please - you follow her posts and you've never noticed she's a female from India?

"Dear" is a term of endearment. Odd you both use that term of endearment when addressing total strangers. You both say "Medico" instead of Physician - no one else here does that, including others from India.

You are issuing reddies to people who disagree with the other person - but not with you.

Have to wonder.

But back to the question - Shakespeare wrote PLAYS, not BOOKS. Yes, Romeo and Juliet is an easy way to start.
    Mobley119 Posts: 142, Reputation: 6

Jul 9, 2012, 08:47 PM
    For me I always have an easier time reading books or plays in old English after watching the play or it in movie form. Once you can see it visually, and figure out what happens that way, it makes it a lot easier to follow it when just reading it. The Hamlet movie done with Lawrence Olivier is pretty true to the play from what I can remember, that might be a good place to start. However others are correct in that Romeo and Juliet is the easiest to read on its own.

Jul 10, 2012, 01:24 AM
    JudyKayTee,

I'm nt so good in your language, but when you cast so intense apprehensions, like calling me equivalent to some one else, I feel there is some plot (lolz, do not mind it plz) or you have some doubt. For most of us, newspapers are the main source of learning English, and just browse the newspapers and you will see the matrimonials which give advertisements asking for medicos and not doctors.

About 'dear' it is quite a common term and whenever to address anyone, we call or use the term dear.

Any other doubt?
    But, I found it interesting that you call be xerox of someone. So nice?
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2012, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatla View Post
    JudyKayTee,

I m nt so good in your language, but when you cast so intense apprehensions, like calling me equivalent to some one else, I feel there is some plot (lolz, do not mind it plz) or you have some doubt. For most of us, newspapers are the main source of learning English, and just browse the newspapers and you will see the matrimonials which give advertisements asking for medicos and not doctors.

About 'dear' it is quite a common term and whenever to address anyone, we call or use the term dear.

Any other doubt?
    But, I found it interesting that you call be xerox of someone. So nice?

This is interesting - the "xerox" copy was made off the Board, in a PM, to a member whose style is very similar to yours. This was not a visible comment. Odd that you should be aware of it.

No, "dear" is not a common term and greeting in the US.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 05:18 AM
    The issue with Shakespeare for you is that first you are not as it appears really good in English language, to start and this is written in old English which is hard to understand because of the use of words no longer in common use, and comparisons that would not normally be done today.

Can you find a version in your own language? If not even watching a movie version first so you have the plot and characters in mind, may help.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2012, 05:58 AM
    The 1968 movie was very true to Shakespeare - the Director went way out of his way to make it as accurate as it could be translated into a movie. It's an excellent starting point, partially because the characters are played by teens, easy for young people to relate.

When I was in college a professor said he could tell who watched a movie and who read a play EXCEPT for this 1968 version of Romeo and Juliet.

The costumes and scenary are also beautiful.
    lilgrig16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2012, 12:00 AM
    You should read it line by line. Try to decipher the meaning of each sentence before moving on. I find that the easiest Shakespeare works to read are romeo and juliet or midsummer dream although romeo and juliet is much more interesting. Shakespeare was a talented writer and the point of his writings are to make people think that's what makes his plays so beautiful.
    doctorsassistan Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 21, 2013, 04:09 PM
    I'd say it's best not to read Shakespeare at all, but to watch his plays. He didn't write to be read, nor did he publish his work. If you can see one in the theatre, so much the better. If not, the Kenneth Branagh film of "Much Ado About Nothing" is very true to the play and beautiful to look at. If you can get a film of Antony Sher playing Macbeth, that is brilliant. But stop thinking of them as books, like D!ckens, for example. They're scripts, written to be performed. Once you've seen some, you'll feel that you can read those scripts and relive the performances you've seen. I hope that's helpful! He's a wonderful writer, but of drama. Good luck!
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2013, 10:23 AM
    Better to see the movie/play than read the classic? Why?

I'm particularly startled because you worked in a library.
    doctorsassistan Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2013, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Better to see the movie/play than read the classic? Why?

I'm particularly startled because you worked in a library.
    Because, as I said, they're not books. You would listen to Beethoven or Mozart, surely? Not read their music manuscripts. Shakespeare's plays are the same - like any play, they are a set of instructions for actors. It's hard to hear and see the play as you read, unless you've had a lot of experience in seeing the plays.
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2013, 02:27 PM
    I'm not understanding the analogy between the written word and music.

You are comparing two different forms of expression.

Of course, my degree is in English. Perhaps yours is in music and so I'm missing something here. I believe the US has turned into a nation of people who need to see a performance, a play, in order to understand or appreciate it because imagination and reading skills have been destroyed by TV and video games. Next the suggestion will be that the libraries be closed and we can all see plays and research on the Internet.

I think it's sad but, again, I was an English major.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I shakespeare ? [ 4 Answers ]

My name is Schuettpelz and I am 24 years old. In high school, I was in two shakespearean plays: Twelfth night (or what you will) and Midsummer night's dream. I swore of performing Shakespeare since. Well I have been returning to theater and strictly performed in musical theater since. I...

About shakespeare [ 1 Answers ]

Does the alphabets J and F invented after shakespeares death?

Character of Shakespeare. [ 4 Answers ]

Description of character sketch of Shakespeare.

View more questions Search