Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coxcows Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Statue of Limitations
    Hi I have a question about the statue of limitations. In 2003 my boyfriend at the time, (now husband) was injured at a rodeo in Utah. At that time we lived in Idaho and still do, we were just at a rodeo when he was injured. We received a bill for charges and paid those charges off.
    But apparently there were also charges for an emergency room physicains? That we never got statements for or calls either...
    Now almost 5 years later, we received a letter from a collections agency for almost 954.00 bucks for the emergency room physicains. We were not aware of these other charges and didn't get any statements from these apparent charges.

Anyhow to make a long story short, can someone clarify what state (IDAHO OR UTAH) is the state of Statue of Limitations and this is a medical account so wouldn't this be considered an "OPEN ACCOUNT"?
    I have been looking all over different websites and these websites state that the statue of limitations in Idaho as well as Utah for open accounts is only 4 years?

Any help or advice would be awesome

Thank you
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2007, 02:14 PM
    If you pay or even offer to pay this agency you will re-open a new statute of limitations. Do not pay or promise to pay until you are sure but I think your statute has expired. Collection agencies buy bad debts for pennies on the dollar. They only need one or two people to offer a settlement to be money ahead.
    coxcows Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking!
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 06:34 PM
    The Statute of Limitations on debit in Utah is 4 years for oral/open accounts & credit cards and six years on promissory notes or written contracts. In Idaho it is 4 years for oral/open accounts or credit cards, 5 years for written contracts, and TEN years for promissory notes.

If anyone ever contacts you regarding an outstanding debt do not admit that you owe the debt and do not agree to make any payments or the Statute of Limitations can start all over again. Simply tell them that the statute of limitations has run on this debt and tell them not to contact you again. If they keep bugging you send them a certified letter telling them not to contact you about the debt again. It would be good to request a return receipt for this.

Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statue of limitations [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations for credit card debt in the state of New Jersey?

Statue of Limitations on a warrant [ 1 Answers ]

I left a work release in another state and the state put out a warrant for my arrest. I am now living in another state where they can't extradite me. I have family back in the state that I left. I have heard that there's a 5 year limit and the state can't do anything if I go back is this true?

Statue of limitations [ 2 Answers ]

Have an old debt owing to a city for a speeding ticket, 17 years ago. Does statue of limitations take affect?

Statue of limitations in nova scotia [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the statue of limitations of credit card debt in Nova Scotia and where I can call or find this proof.I was told there was no such thing but I know this is not true.

View more questions Search