Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtv_0 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2012, 02:51 PM
    Ask human resources
    I have a question about discrimination in the work place. Is it discriminatory if I lose hours because I enrolled in class? I changed my availability temporarily, but was still getting hours. Now, I have no hours. I'm not fired either, that I know of anyway
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 25, 2012, 02:55 PM
    You are not schedule for ANY hours now, i.e. you do not go to work?

Jun 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
    No. I told them for 8 weeks, I would have to go from open availability to 3 days, maybe 4. They would give me 1 or 2 days. I looked at my future schedule, & they didn't give me any shifts. I'm still in school, but need that money. I had a discussion about this with the scheduling manager & she said she "understood" the situation. I'm halfway done with school & she just took my hours away
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 25, 2012, 03:08 PM
    Time to talk with the scheduling manager again to find out what's going on.

Jun 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
    Oh yeah, I intend on doing that. I just wanted to get the facts first if it was a possibility that it MIGHT in any way, be discriminatory. Their idea of punishment for leaving them & going back to school even. Just in case should her response be less than satisfactory
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 25, 2012, 03:14 PM
    You'll have to give us a general idea of which state or country, so someone can give you legal information.

Jun 25, 2012, 03:21 PM
    Oh, okay. I've never posted on here, let alone anything pertaining to work or employee rights. I work in the city of Scottsdale, in Arizona
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2012, 03:50 PM
    No it does not appear discriminatory. Are you a protected class? Are other employees treated differently?

Jun 25, 2012, 04:09 PM
    I'm just enrolled in a summer class. The managers used to call me into work, if I wasn't already scheduled. I basically accommodated to them, until the subject of school came up. They had asked me to cover a couple shifts twice, when I had a 30 minute discussion with the scheduling manager about me enrolling in night school. I didn't tell her I was going to stop working, just cutting down to 3 days a week. She gave me 1 instead, & now none. Which I can't help but to think that had I never enrolled, I would not have my hours taken from me completely.

Jun 25, 2012, 04:11 PM
    Basically, makes me wonder that now because I am not as accommodating as I was before, its some kind of punishment, or way to drive me out?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 25, 2012, 04:32 PM
    I think you just answered your question, you are not as accommodating as you once where and now they don't call you as much. You made changes to your availability after you were hired. They may have never hired you in the first place if you were only able to work on a limited scale. You will know more where summer school ends but it is not discrimination.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Could be any of those things, its just not discrimination.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human resources [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a medical and drug/alcohol test soon for a potential job. I am currently taking anti depressant tablets and have been for 4 months and hopefully this will be my last month taking them Now I also have paperwork to fill out which asks about any tablets I'm taking so I can't lie about the...

Ask human resources [ 2 Answers ]

I am in sales and a customer asked why I was taking a few days off. I told her, benignly, that I was having a procedure so that I can't have more kids. She immediately told me it was too personal and I apologied. A few days later, her supervisor approached me and told me she had told him and he...

Human Resources [ 12 Answers ]

What questions (at least FIVE questions) should we ask related to job and HRIS? Tq

View more questions Search