Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kathyjomann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2012, 07:01 AM
    How to install above ground pool when ground is slopping
    We just purchased an above ground pool (rubber with metal poles) and our ground is slopping. If you look at the top end of the hill (where the pool will sit) and hold a sting to the bottom of the area where the pool sits, there will be a 17 inch drop at the bottom. The man who is going to do the ground work says we should bring in a load of dirt and build the lower section level with the top section and compact it using a good dirt and sand mixture.

My husband thinks we should dig the top portion out until it's level with the bottom and put in a retaining wall.

Who's right? I don't want the pool rolling down the hill or the ground covering up the pool!

Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2012, 07:07 AM
    I agree with your husband and dig into the high spot until level.
    dogdeville Posts: 69, Reputation: -4
    -

Jun 25, 2012, 07:12 AM
    You can do either. Hauling in dirt may be easier. The pool man may do a little bit of both, cut the hill and 1 load of dirt. A wall will be need if you think the hill will wash out when it rains!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 25, 2012, 08:08 AM
    Sorry but you can't do either, fill can not be used under the pool frame. Hubby is correct, I would seek and installer who knows what he is doing better than this one. The railing must sit on virgin soil which is undisturbed and stable.
    dogdeville Posts: 69, Reputation: -4
    -

Jun 25, 2012, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Sorry but you can't do either, fill can not be used under the pool frame. Hubby is correct, I would seek and installer who knows what he is doing better than this one. The railing must sit on virgin soil which is undisturbed and stable.
    great advice
    FrankHolman53 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2012, 02:08 PM
    Dirt that you build up will wash away.

You need compact dirt that is not going ANYWHERE

Building up dirt with sand is even worse, you will have dirt that will refuse to compact

Always Always dig down to level

Ground Preparation of Above Ground Pools

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone know of a person who can install an above ground pool in Kingston, TN? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a used 24ft pool that was given to us and I would like to find someone to install it for us. But it has some parts that need replaced as well. I would like to get some quotes as to what it will cost me.

How do I install a ZODIAC KD+ above ground pool? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a second hand ZODIAC KD PLUS 5 X 3 BR pool,previous owners have migrated, I need a manual please , I also need to know how I can get my hands on a pool structure certificate so that council can approve my pool installation plans. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks Eddy.

How do you install new liner in above ground pool? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you install new liner in above ground pool?

Install New Pool Liner-Above Ground Pool [ 1 Answers ]

We are going to install a new liner in an above ground pool this weekend. I have read conflicting information as to when the skimmer and jet holes should be cut. Do you fill the pool with water within a foot of the skimmer, attach the trim kit and then cut out the liner? I don't know what to do,...

View more questions Search