Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashymuhlee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 11:16 PM
    Hot water smells like mildew
    We purchased our current home earlier this year. Within the last week, when we run the hot water (in the kitchen, shower, sink, etc), there is a mildew smell. After a the water runs few minutes, the smell goes away from all faucets and shower heads. After about a half hour, the smell comes back. The smell is only noticeable while running warm/hot water. Our water is supplied through the city in which we live.

Thank you for any and all responses!
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2012, 04:53 AM
    Take a look at an earlier answer of mine to see if it might help.

smell coming from water heater

Good luck,
    WallyH
    ashymuhlee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2012, 10:24 AM
    Thank you for your response. I'm leaving town for a few days, so I'll try this when I get back. Hopefully it will work since it is for a rotten egg smell, not a mildew-y smell. Fingers crossed!

I just realized that the smell occurs when using both hot and cold water. When the hot water is used, the smell is just very much more noticeable. I'm assuming this means that it's not the water heater. Any suggestions? (I have not tried the solution in the link yet.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water smells like wd-40 [ 5 Answers ]

Hot water in bathrooms smell like wd-40, and other faucets it is greasy. Bought new hot water tank 11-1-10. Trouble is that the smell was there before that. In about October my main bathroom had a terrible smell, then went away, but that is when the water starting to smell. Had everything...

Why does our tap water smells/tastes like mildew! (hot and cold) [ 1 Answers ]

It wasn't like this until about a month ago. Run hot or cold water and it is the same smell and taste. The only place that doesn't taste this way is the water that comes from the refrigerator. Where is this coming from and hoe can I fix it?

Water in the whole house smells like mildew. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've been reading a bunch of Q and A's about water smelling like mildew. I'm a little out of sorts mainly because it seams as the though I have that mildew smell coming from all the faucets particularly the kitchen sink and the washing machine. I've also noticed that the cups and dishes have a...

Water in kitchen faucet smells like mildew [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. We bought a 15 year old house in Falls Church, VA this summer. I have noticed that when we turn on the kitchen faucet, the water smells mildewed. If the water runs for 30 seconds to a minute, the smell eventually goes away. If the smell has gone and you turn the faucet off, and then...

Water from bathroom faucet smells like mildew [ 3 Answers ]

2 weeks ago my husband replaced the 1980's faucet and vanity in our master bath. Now when I turn on the water (hot or cold) it smells like mildew; I can actually smell it on my hands, so I know it is the water not the drain. None of the other faucets in the house have this problem. The new faucet...

View more questions Search